You are Here:
Bought These at Walgreens Today

Author (Read 2907 times)

Bought These at Walgreens Today
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

cere23

• True Member
I know these are the cheaper modern version studs, they were next to the PlayRights.
but I bought a pack of these for 2.99 p/tax at Walgreens Today.

Weird thing was  there was no seal. and no sticky residue that shows sign that someone peal the seal off.
and returned it. Cards feel new and in NDO.

Just sharing a unexpected find.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:57:04 PM by cere23 »

Re: Bought These at Walgreens Today
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 02:25:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I know these are the cheaper modern version studs, they were next to the PlayRights.

Weird thing was  there was no seal. and no sticky residue that shows sign that someone peal the seal off.

You lucked out.  They've been out of print a little while now - the Play-Rights replaced them.

It was actually a frequent occurrence to find Studs with loose or missing deck seals.  They weren't sealed in cellophane, so the glue would dry out with exposure, the moisture would escape because there was no wrapper of cellophane keeping it from escaping so therefore, the seals would often come loose, detach at one end or fall off completely to land at the bottom of the cards display rack.  The plastic hang tags sometimes came off as well but they did tend to last longer than the USPC deck seal stickers.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

cere23

• True Member

You lucked out.  They've been out of print a little while now - the Play-Rights replaced them.

It was actually a frequent occurrence to find Studs with loose or missing deck seals.  They weren't sealed in cellophane, so the glue would dry out with exposure, the moisture would escape because there was no wrapper of cellophane keeping it from escaping so therefore, the seals would often come loose, detach at one end or fall off completely to land at the bottom of the cards display rack.  The plastic hang tags sometimes came off as well but they did tend to last longer than the USPC deck seal stickers.

Just found a blue verson with a blue seal at a different Walgreen by restaurant we were eating at yesterday.
"thinking Walgreens have messy back rooms."

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:18:13 PM by cere23 »

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 02:21:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Just found a blue verson with a blue seal at a different Walgreen by restaurant we were eating at yesterday.
"thinking Walgreens have messy back rooms."

It's not just that a stock room would be messy but that a warehouse would discover a box or two buried in the back somewhere, long forgotten, and management would look at it simply as old stock to be sold off as quickly as possible to make room for new stock.  I've even found old Chinese-made Aviators and Hoyles selling at a Duane Reade (now owned by Walgreens), despite the fact that they were supposed to have turned them all in to USPC for replacements.  USPC experimented a handful of years ago with using Chinese companies to print some of their less-popular decks but in the end were dissatisfied with the quality, discontinued the practice with all but one deck, Mavericks, and recalled the remaining merchandise for replacement.  Mavericks are still made in China because it's the company's lowest-end deck, typically only found in dollar stores.  Aside from their Fournier decks and the Bicycle Prestige decks (made for them by Fournier), all the rest of their decks are made in Erlanger, Kentucky these days.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:44:34 AM »

cere23

• True Member
Thanks dan,

Streamlines another made in china deck, or did they revert back to USA, or OOP all together?

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:42:40 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks dan,

Streamlines another made in china deck, or did they revert back to USA, or OOP all together?

Why do so many people here think my name is Dan???

By 2012, they had moved printing of Streamlines to the Erlanger plant.  I have a 2012 deck marked "Made in USA."

They were at one time being printed by Fournier - some older decks are labeled "Made in Spain."

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »

cere23

• True Member
My apologies Don,
I think it could be a unconscious thing, I knew your name was Don too,

I have some 2009 Decks says made in china.

I am thinking about ordering from bicycle.com for some Streamlines, if made in the US
It doesn't say where its made, and also it is Cheaper than Mavericks.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:49:23 PM by cere23 »

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:44:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My apologies Don,

I am thinking about ordering from bicycle.com for some Streamlines, if made in the US

I think you meant bicyclecards.com - bicycle.com is a generic-looking site about two-wheeled bicycles...

USPC's own website sells Mavericks at $2.99 a pack - it's a ripoff, considering that dollar stores have them for $1 a pack.

They also list Streamlines at $1.99 a pack - this is about par for the course and are better cards than Mavericks, assuming you get US-made decks.  I have seen them as low as a buck a pack at Walmart and they are nearly that cheap when bought in bulk, but unless you talk to the retailer and get details, you never know if you're getting old stock made in China or more recent stock made in the USA.  I made a bulk purchase of about 1.5 gross or 2 gross a while back and wound up with all Chinese-made decks.  Can't weave shuffle them to save your own life...  US-made decks are on par with Aviators or smooth-finish Bicycles.

Both brands have Arrco faces and were originally Arrco-made brands, if memory serves me.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »

cere23

• True Member
My apologies Don,

I think you meant bicyclecards.com - bicycle.com is a generic-looking site about two-wheeled bicycles...

USPC's own website sells Mavericks at $2.99 a pack - it's a ripoff, considering that dollar stores have them for $1 a pack.

They also list Streamlines at $1.99 a pack - this is about par for the course and are better cards than Mavericks, assuming you get US-made decks.  I have seen them as low as a buck a pack at Walmart and they are nearly that cheap when bought in bulk, but unless you talk to the retailer and get details, you never know if you're getting old stock made in China or more recent stock made in the USA.  I made a bulk purchase of about 1.5 gross or 2 gross a while back and wound up with all Chinese-made decks.  Can't weave shuffle them to save your own life...  US-made decks are on par with Aviators or smooth-finish Bicycles.

Both brands have Arrco faces and were originally Arrco-made brands, if memory serves me.

I called bicycle,  they said the streamlines were made in china upon examining.
She also said  that was the newest as they go through inventory quick. Ah well.

What are smooth bicycles, ? Like rider back smooth?

Thanks

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks

First of all, you didn't call "Bicycle."  It's like inquiring about a Ford Mustang by calling Mustang.  You called bicyclecards.com, I presume, which is Wingra Direct, a retailer and wholly-owned subsidiary of USPC.  They handle USPC's sales.

The Bicycle E-Z-See Lo-Vision decks are made with a smooth finish - unembossed.  This was sometimes referred to as an "Ivory Finish" in some older deck designs, but the last Bicycle deck I know of that used the term was CARC's Bicycle Professionals.  They have Rider Backs and giant faces with two- and four-color design elements made for easier play by people with less-than-perfect eyesight.

I'd be surprised if USPC went back to a Chinese company to make Streamlines - they did a trial run with some lesser brands a few years back but found the quality to be inferior and unacceptable.  But then again, as of earlier this year they do have new corporate ownership - Jarden was purchased by Newell Brands - so the new corporate overlords could be making them pinch the pennies a little harder than before.  I really couldn't say, to be honest.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

cere23

• True Member

Thanks

First of all, you didn't call "Bicycle."  It's like inquiring about a Ford Mustang by calling Mustang.  You called bicyclecards.com, I presume, which is Wingra Direct, a retailer and wholly-owned subsidiary of USPC.  They handle USPC's sales.

The Bicycle E-Z-See Lo-Vision decks are made with a smooth finish - unembossed.  This was sometimes referred to as an "Ivory Finish" in some older deck designs, but the last Bicycle deck I know of that used the term was CARC's Bicycle Professionals.  They have Rider Backs and giant faces with two- and four-color design elements made for easier play by people with less-than-perfect eyesight.

I'd be surprised if USPC went back to a Chinese company to make Streamlines - they did a trial run with some lesser brands a few years back but found the quality to be inferior and unacceptable.  But then again, as of earlier this year they do have new corporate ownership - Jarden was purchased by Newell Brands - so the new corporate overlords could be making them pinch the pennies a little harder than before.  I really couldn't say, to be honest.

your right,
i kinda generalized it by saying Bicycle.
Anyways,  surprised that they told me to Contact Merz67.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

your right,
i kinda generalized it by saying Bicycle.
Anyways,  surprised that they told me to Contact Merz67.

He was listed on the website for years as being one of their preferred retailers.  He probably pays for the privilege.  Plus he was at one point their largest customer in the Custom Department.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »

akicer

So lucky,,, that's the only thing I have to say lol

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 12:34:36 AM »

iraiam

• Newcomer
I bought 4 decks of STUD cards at a local Walgreens last week, I was kind of shocked. all blue, 2 standard and 2 jumbo index. I kept 1 of each sealed, and started using the others,  they are old stock from 2011.  Kind of hard to believe they sat on a shelf somewhere for 5 years or more.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:35:58 AM by iraiam »