You are Here:
Blue Crown Black Friday Playing Cards

Author (Read 2288 times)

Blue Crown Black Friday Playing Cards
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Really like the look of this deck and wanted to give it it's own topic. limited to 500, hand numbered and signed and only available for purchase through the weekend (11/27 - 11/29 2015), although they do say they will be offering more through promos and with large purchases later. But $20 for a 500 sold and numbered run of decks isn't bad, and a deck that Blue Crown claims is their most limited to date.

The tuck makes me think of a private reserve liquor bottle label, and I really like the vintage aesthetic it seems to capture without being pandering. The card back is nice, kindof hotel/airliner esque with the branding across either side, but I like it's simplicity. Would love to get other peoples opinions here, I tend to always wonder where my tastes lie in context to other collectors.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

Re: Blue Crown Black Friday Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like the overall concept, but the idea of dating the deck and giving it the name "Black Friday" seems off to me.  I bust them out in June, people will ask me stupid questions about it.  I would have been more eager to get them if they actually had a name not directly linked to a specific occasion like these are - and it's not even a holiday, it's just the nickname for a high-volume shopping day!  It's like buying someone a Christmas sweater - only a doofus utterly devoid of style or fashion sense would still be wearing it into February.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I don't mind the dating, but the reference to Black Friday, one of the most ridiculous days in my opinion, is just plain weird. That said, I picked up a couple for the collection anyway.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I don't mind the dating, but the reference to Black Friday, one of the most ridiculous days in my opinion, is just plain weird. That said, I picked up a couple for the collection anyway.

Alex Pandrea has some unique sensibilities about product names.  "London 2012," "Brazil 2014" and now this.  I'm sensing a pattern here...something to do with time...  :))

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Here's my 2 cents. I have my deck I perform shows with (Blue Monarchs). Throughout the week I always carry random decks and switch it up. So one day I'll grab Jetsetters, another I'll grab Soundboards, etc. This is one of those decks. I do collect but I also use my cards (not daily of course). Sometimes people will ask me questions about the cards: Where did I get them? How many different decks are there, etc. By the way the whole myth about people thinking you're using a trick deck if it's not a "familiar" deck is complete bull. I have never had a single person say that. I have heard it all the time when I use Rider Backs however (I think everyone here is smart enough to know this by now tho). Moving on. For this deck I would say, it's a limited edition deck you could only buy on Black Friday 2015, only 500 were made, and then educate them if they get more curious. Magic doesn't have to be about look at me doing all these tricks. Most of the time I'll do a trick and talk to someone after about card collecting, which may lead to what they collect, what they do for a living, and next thing you know you made a new friend. This is in a casual setting: at paid gigs I do chat for a few seconds but then move on to another table.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:44:44 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's my 2 cents. I have my deck I perform shows with (Blue Monarchs). Throughout the week I always carry random decks and switch it up. So one day I'll grab Jetsetters, another I'll grab Soundboards, etc. This is one of those decks. I do collect but I also use my cards (not daily of course). Sometimes people will ask me questions about the cards: Where did I get them? How many different decks are there, etc. By the way the whole myth about people thinking you're using a trick deck if it's not a "familiar" deck is complete bull. I have never had a single person say that. I have heard it all the time when I use Rider Backs however (I think everyone here is smart enough to know this by now tho). Moving on. For this deck I would say, it's a limited edition deck you could only buy on Black Friday 2015, only 500 were made, and then educate them if they get more curious. Magic doesn't have to be about look at me doing all these tricks. Most of the time I'll do a trick and talk to someone after about card collecting, which may lead to what they collect, what they do for a living, and next thing you know you made a new friend. This is in a casual setting: at paid gigs I do chat for a few seconds but then move on to another table.

I agree about how using a custom deck won't automatically trigger the thought that the deck is a trick deck.  However, audiences tend to be more at ease - and less attentive - when you use cards that they're familiar with, or at the least ones very similar to what they use.  It's one reason why performing magicians tend not to use custom decks.  The bigger reason they don't use them as a general rule is that they COST A LOT MORE and can be costly or even nigh impossible to replace!  I can't tell you how many custom decks I ruined by using them for performance in public.  Third reason is that a standard deck, especially Bicycle Rider Backs, will match with the majority of gaff cards and gaff decks on the market, whereas a custom deck might not - unless you shell out even more cash for custom-deck gaffs.

As a magician, when I see a fellow magician using a pack of Bikes, I'm MORE suspicious, not less!  If I see a custom deck, sure, maybe there's a hidden marking system, a gaffed card or a stripped edge or something, but the odds are a lot slimmer than they would be if he was using Bikes.  The only exception would be when a magician is performing with their own deck design - in such cases, they'll often have custom gaffed versions created as well.

Point of all this - Black Friday is an odd choice for a deck theme.  Might as well choose Maundy Thursday, Saint Swithen's Day or Payroll Tuesday...  It's not a holiday like Christmas or Easter or Independence Day, it's not a sporting event like the Olympics or the World Cup - it's a day that, up until the last few years, was thought of as the busiest day of the shopping year.  It's not even like Friday the 13th, a day closely associated with superstition and bad luck occurring a few times a year!  Because of the impact of Internet shopping, Black Friday's significance has sharply dropped, to the point where fewer and fewer people bother with creating mob scenes.  I'm told that this year, Black Friday was fairly tepid, especially compared not only to years past but to Cyber Monday.  Talk Like a Pirate Day would be a better choice, I'd think - but that's just my opinion, for what that's worth.  I'm sure all 500 decks sold at their full price and a few hundred collectors were happy to have them added to there collections - not every deck on planet Earth has to pass my standards!  (If they did, there'd be a lot fewer decks...)

But hey - at least it's not dedicated to "Going Out of Business Day"...

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:46:23 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
I agree with you about the deck. It is pretty dumb in a way. And the back design is boring. I still haven't got mine in the mail so I'll be the judge of the final product. Will I use it often? No. Will it look good on my shelf? Maybe

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:12:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I agree with you about the deck. It is pretty dumb in a way. And the back design is boring. I still haven't got mine in the mail so I'll be the judge of the final product. Will I use it often? No. Will it look good on my shelf? Maybe

Will it be rare and retain at least some of its value?  Probably.  :))

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Received my Black Friday decks and wanted to review it here.

Box:
First off, no cellophane and no seal.
Matte black box
The front of the box (where it's signed)  is a "sticker" per say

Cards:
Diamond Finish by EPCC or LEGENDS
One "authenticity" card
One double backer (one side black the other side white)
No jokers
EPCC court cards with color modifications
Custom Ace of spades

Overall opinion:
At first I was dissapointed with the "sticker" being used as opposed to a printed box. Now I love it, gives it that handmade, unique feel.
I'm dissapointed this deck has no seal and no jokers. For $20 a deck I think we "unlocked that stretch goal" per say.
Quality is great, most of us are familiar with diamond finish (LPCC) or master (EPCC).
The deck felt rushed and could've been better.
Overall, I am happy with the product.
I give this deck 8/10.

I have a 2 available for purchase if interested.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:22:17 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Below are two court cards and the seal I added to my personal collection.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:20:08 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Received my Black Friday decks and wanted to review it here.

Thanks for the review, I am a little cautious about the sticker.. Mine haven't arrived yet but once I have one in hand and can sit with it for a minute we'll see if it grows on me. Obviously the cost of the deck isn't covering tuck design.. I can't imagine printing up 500 stickers cost much... I really like the sticker design and the card backs but this feels a little bit like a profit grab.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The phrase you're looking for here is "blank facer."  :))

I don't think it was a matter of "profit grab" that the deck is somewhat no-frills in certain areas.  I suspect two things, each to varying degrees.  One, Alex has been fond of a minimal aesthetic ever since the first NOC decks were designs.  Two, he may have been making all of this on a tight deadline and custom sticker seals would have taken too long.  The second is a poor excuse, to be sure, but the first is legit.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 02:46:55 AM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

No Don. Look at my 4th picture. It's a double backer but one of the backs is in white and gold instead of black and gold (yellow or whatever).

I forgot to mention earlier, I am 99% sure the reason for the sticker on the front of the box is this: Edo printed 500 stickers and hand signed them. He shipped those stickers to Alex for him to sign as well and then stick to the box. Shipping 500 stickers is much more affordable than shipping 500 decks back and forth, and the stickers could have been done way before the decks were printed and in the U.S.

Again, I love the final product. Theres always pros and cons with anything tho. Perfection is an illusion. What some hate, many love. What many love, some hate.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 02:56:22 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I think what he means is double backer with different colour (black and white)  ;D
Back for more

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

No Don. Look at my 4th picture. It's a double backer but one of the backs is in white and gold instead of black and gold (yellow or whatever).

I forgot to mention earlier, I am 99% sure the reason for the sticker on the front of the box is this: Edo printed 500 stickers and hand signed them. He shipped those stickers to Alex for him to sign as well and then stick to the box. Shipping 500 stickers is much more affordable than shipping 500 decks back and forth, and the stickers could have been done way before the decks were printed and in the U.S.

Again, I love the final product. Theres always pros and cons with anything tho. Perfection is an illusion. What some hate, many love. What many love, some hate.

For what he was charging, he could have pre-printed the boxes and shipped them flat and uncut without too much trouble - but yes, it would cost more than just shipping a bunch of stickers.  But then again, you have to have two things made - stickers and boxes, instead of just boxes - using the method that was used.

I'm still inclined to think that time was a factor, that the project was put together and launched in a big fat hurry and this was what he was able to come up with in that time.  I might have done it differently, but he's the guy with the successful cards/magic business, not me.

Got it on the double backer.  I always thought it was a little silly to have a double-backer where one of the backs is a color/pattern that doesn't actually exist by itself in deck form.  It limits the usefulness to a certain degree.  I've seen cases where someone wanting a double-backer with different backs used a Mandolin Back or some other common back (or common-enough, or lookalike to a common back) - seems like a more versatile alternative.