You are Here:
Black Friday Releases

Author (Read 3614 times)

Re: Black Friday Releases
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Thank you Princess, I appreciate you posting this, there were a couple decks here that weren't on my radar that I definitely want. Too bad I can't just buy the Gold Monarchs, really like the look of those
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
The Gold Monarchs are being touted as "the FIRST gold foil custom playing cards ever produced by the United States Playing Card Company."  I guess T11 beat Jackson's Tally-Hos to the MetalLuxe punch by a few months.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 01:00:55 PM by PrincessTrouble »

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:09:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The Gold Monarchs are being touted as "the FIRST gold foil custom playing cards ever produced by the United States Playing Card Company."  I guess T11 beat Jackson's Tally-Hos to the MetalLuxe punch by a few months.

Looks like it, just barely.  They clearly don't count their own "MetalLuxe" Bicycles as "custom."

Thank you Princess, I appreciate you posting this, there were a couple decks here that weren't on my radar that I definitely want. Too bad I can't just buy the Gold Monarchs, really like the look of those

They'd probably cost close to what other similar decks do - in the ballpark of $25-30 a pack.  MetalLuxe isn't cheap.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:38:49 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
I remember a fellow designer having that matchbox idea...

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I remember a fellow designer having that matchbox idea...

...and being told it was impractical.  It's just a gimmick here, especially because it doesn't even come with matches!  The matches are probably the killer of the deal - I'd wager there are laws prohibiting putting them in the mail because of their flammability.

EDIT: I checked.  Paragraph 136.1 of the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, International Mailing Manual, section B, sub-section 2 lists matches as part of the category of "flammable solids," which are prohibited.  In domestic mail, safety matches (matches requiring a special striking surface of a compatible chemical/mineral composition, as opposed to ones which can be ignited by striking them against any hard, rough surface) are mailable only as surface mail, meaning shipments would take several days longer to arrive.  They'd have to be specially labeled with DOT markings indicating their nature to prevent them from ending up on a plane at any point.  All in all, a lot of hassle for a gimmick with a pack of playing cards.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:43:27 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Interesting Don...

Yeah, it's a cool idea but nothing to go crazy over. You have to get matches from a matchbook or matchbox to strike them on another box. Haha