The Zinfandel Deck - by Eric Mana

Author (Read 16958 times)

Re: The Zinfandel Deck - by Eric Mana
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Don  you are such an old fart hehehehe

Speedy  funny you mention marked decks.  Was browsing decks on ebay like I do every night and saw this old marked deck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LOMBARDY-Playing-Cards-early-ENARDOE-Marked-Stripped-Card-Deck-/310823182152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485e815f48

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Haha would you consider 19 to be very young? I am certainly young in terms of plying cards and experience. I have only been collecting for just over 2 months now and have learned tons already. As I can see though, I have a lot more to learn.

It is tough juggle my time between reading the discourse and studying for finals… The discourse normally wins lol

I really am interested in getting my hands on a marked deck sometime. I might wait for these cards to go public and then pick up a deck on ebay or something.

I was probably a pre-teen when I discovered my first DeLand deck.  I'm 46 now...

Don  you are such an old fart hehehehe

Speedy  funny you mention marked decks.  Was browsing decks on ebay like I do every night and saw this old marked deck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LOMBARDY-Playing-Cards-early-ENARDOE-Marked-Stripped-Card-Deck-/310823182152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485e815f48

That deck will NOT stay at that price for long...  He'll be better off with something newer, unless he wants a museum piece to show off.  It's not a practical deck for everyday use.

Some better marked decks to obtain:

These four decks are either readily available or are limited and sold out but still selling in the aftermarket for reasonable prices.  They employ a marking system you have to learn before using.

- Ellusionist Madison Dealers
- Theory11 Madison Players
- Phoenix Apocalypse 2012
- Boris Wild Marked Deck (I've heard some negative reviews on this one and they're becoming scarce now that they're out of print; his Gambler's Decks are better)

These three decks are also either readily available or are limited and sold out but still selling in the aftermarket.  They don't have a system to learn - the backs are as easily read as the fronts when you know where to look.

- Bicycle Split Spades in black (David Blaine's Mind-Reading Deck)
- Gambler's Deck, red Bicycle Maiden Back
- GT Speedreader Marked Deck, red Bicycle Mandolin Back

These deck are "Holy Grail" decks - you'll never see them reprinted again.  They were printed before the ban by USPC Legal on alterations to the Rider Back.  The marks are as easy to read as the faces if you know where to look.  They were never cheap to start with and they're getting less and less cheap by the month.  For subtlety, the second deck is better than the first, but also not as versatile from a magician's perspective.

- Gambler's Deck, red Bicycle Rider Back - includes instruction book with tricks.
- Ultimate Marked Deck, red and blue Bicycle Rider Back - applications book sold separately.

OK, now that I've milked that tangent for all it is worth, let's get back to the new Mana decks!  :))
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:31:35 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
So Eric's update today is about his next project coming soon to KS.

Let me prefaced what I am about to say- In no way do I think Eric is a scam artist or thief.

Promoting your next project before your first project is funded, is a huge turnoff to me. I'm thinking about pulling the plug on this project. I understand the hype machine, but it could make one think that he is not focused on getting this one finished. Creators please wait until after your project ends to promote the next.
The updates I want to see would be-
1. Thank you to all of my backers for getting us funded.
2. I have received payment from KS, the artwork is finished , and I have sent it to USPC. I am also excited to give you a preview of my next project coming very soon to KS. I hope you will join me.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
So Eric's update today is about his next project coming soon to KS.

Let me prefaced what I am about to say- In no way do I think Eric is a scam artist or thief.

Promoting your next project before your first project is funded, is a huge turnoff to me. I'm thinking about pulling the plug on this project. I understand the hype machine, but it could make one think that he is not focused on getting this one finished. Creators please wait until after your project ends to promote the next.
The updates I want to see would be-
1. Thank you to all of my backers for getting us funded.
2. I have received payment from KS, the artwork is finished , and I have sent it to USPC. I am also excited to give you a preview of my next project coming very soon to KS. I hope you will join me.

Just my 2 cents from someone who barely has a penny...I think the only reason he said anything was because it was a part of his stretch goal (one he only narrowly hit) that he would give insight into what he was working on, it's really no different than Jackson showing us some of his artwork here for potential upcoming projects even though Sherlock is likely his main focus. From the youtube video with the "reveal" for his next project, there really wasn't any substance card-wise, just a few stock shots and sketches.

I understand why it might be a turnoff, but I would expect that when the project is finished funding in 2 days we'll get the thank you e-mail you're looking for :D (this is my first foray into kickstarter, so I guess I don't know what to expect, but I can't imagine him not being able to deliver to only 450 or so backers as well - at least that's what I'm hoping!).
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Eric says,

"@Russell - Thank you for the heads up. Yes, I'm aware of the risks. I too noticed that as well with Jackson's project. My next projects will not launch until fulfillment is complete. That's a promise."

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
It's official.  Thought I would give him a bump up.  He is in his last 24 hours.

"Hi guys!

I want to clarify and assure everyone that I will NOT launch the next project until all fulfillment is complete with this project. That is a promise!

Trust is a major factor in a platform like Kickstarter and I want to earn your trust! You've taken the leap of faith with me so far and I'm grateful. As I've said in my pledge to you, my backers - I will be here every step of the way from design to delivery and beyond, so whatever concerns you have, I'll be happy to address them at anytime.

I think you guys already know that I do my best to answer everyone's questions and concerns. Rest assured that I'm here to take care of you. You're part of the Mana family!

Thank you all again for the support! :)

Erik"

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don, I thought that you were old! You're only three years my senior...that's REALLY young!! ;-)

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

sorry for pump up this old, but anyone have update of Mana v2 :?

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:02 AM »

troy

• True Member
I emailed him regarding questions about the decks. He emailed me back and said pre-orders will end on May 15th. He also said delivery times a little behind.

http://www.erikmana.com/store/p13/Zinfandel_Pre-Order_Packages.html

http://www.erikmana.com/store/p14/Indigo_Pre-Order_Packages.html

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 12:38:16 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2014, 12:41:40 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Any idea what the "clues" are?
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Just solved the code. The marking system is actually really intuitive. The downside is that you need to look at the full card, not just the corner.

I actually solved the code with the riffle test before I got the link.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »

ATS

Zinfandel actually produces a fairly unique coloured red wine and white (with a golden tinge) wine, perfectly setting it up for two different coloured cards. In the wine world the word Zinfandel holds a strong presence and makes great sense when connected to these pictures if you understand the image this word portrays.

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50:23 AM »

chach

• Forum Regular
I figured out the marking system both the suits & numbers but I have no idea about the link.  Never been good at riddles, make my brain hurt.
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:14 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I figured out the marking system both the suits & numbers but I have no idea about the link.  Never been good at riddles, make my brain hurt.

It's much simpler than you think.

All you need is the ad card, tuck case, and Erik's website.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »

CJS

• Newcomer
No, sorry - I've to disagree  :o

Since over 2 weeks I'm the more or less proud owner of the Zinfandel and the Indigo Deck.
Since over 2 weeks I'm searching for the solution and the link.
For me it seems, without a good english its not possible to discover the "secrets"

Definitely my english is not good enough - sorry I'm a german guy and not the youngest  8)

Please can someone help me with some hints (via email) to make the decks useful for me.

Sorry for my english - it is www.leo.org's fault

Regards
Claus