Author (Read 1382 times)

Euro inspired card game on Kickstarter
« on: June 10, 2016, 04:14:07 AM »

ScrimmageCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hello everyone,

I'm Matt from Foxwood Collective. We're a small design studio in London and we've just launched a fun football card game called Scrimmage on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/495052264/scrimmage-football-playing-cards-european-champion. I hope some of you will find our kickstarter campaign interesting.

Scrimmage is Fifa, poker and some mind reading mixed together in a card game that features skills, tactics and
luck – just like a real football match. The aim is to outscore and outsmart your opposition and use all the tricks in the book!

Scrimmage will feature more than 100 player cards, inspired by the players representing their countries on Euro 2016.

So what do you think about Scrimmage! card game? :D
Scrimmage! The real football playing cards - coming on Kickstarter May 26th

http://www.scrimmagecards.com

Re: Euro inspired card game on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:07:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It looks like a variant on the game War - popular with a younger crowd, not as popular with adults because of the simplicity.  However, your additional rules and special cards add a little more of a challenge, so you might find some more interest in adults.  Fortunately, one doesn't need to be a football/soccer fan to grasp the rules quickly, so anyone can play and find some enjoyment in it.  It makes for a good "beer-and-pretzels" game, played for fun with a handful of friends - except for the fact that it's a two-player game.  Perhaps you can craft rules for four or six players, functioning as two teams?  It has the potential to be a fun party game, and football is more of a group sport than a two-player sport!

I would recommend a slight redesign of the cards.  Most of the people in the world are right-handed and will hold their cards in a right-handed fan, with the upper-left corner exposed.  On your cards, you have the most pertinent information in the upper-right corner instead.  I'd suggest creating a index for the upper-left corner with all of the most critical information located in it.

I would also recommend using a border around the card faces that's the same color on all the cards - I've demonstrated before how a stack of face-down cards with identical backs can actually be identified by their edge when they have different-colored faces, meaning a sharp-eyed player can identify the color (thus the "country") of the card that's next drawn.  Just a thin border of any color will do (white or black would probably be best for your game).  A thin border is enough to make all the cards the same color at the edge, thus indistinguishable in a face-down pile.

A white border on the faces AND the backs will allow the cards to last longer - because they're printed on white paper, cards with black at the bleed will show the paper chips at the edges over time and wear, exposing the white paper underneath.  It's why most poker cards are white-bordered.

I would even take it a step further, taking any game-critical information at the bottom of the card, incorporating it into the index design and making a double-headed card design with double indices, like a traditional poker card with "right-handed" indices - the art can simply be two vertical players, one right-side up, one upside-down, so one of the two will always appear right-side up no matter how the cards are oriented.  It relieves the players of having to rotate the cards themselves in play for them to be readable, which in turn reduces the chances of accidentally exposing a card to an opposing player.

Good luck with your Kickstarter!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:08:18 AM »

ScrimmageCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your input. You really gave us some food for thought before the cards get printed. We went for the trading card style so we overlooked other features, but you’re absolutely right with the details we have to look into. Because we designed the game from scratch we are still discovering new game modes and rules that we’ll be posting as well. I’m really glad to hear you like the “challenging” side of the game, as we wanted to include enough strategy to really plan every move in order to win. The multiplayer mode is designed as a knockout tournament (e.g. semi-finals, finals etc) but we’re also trying out several other ideas. At the end of the day, the game will allow everyone to come up with their own rules and twists as well!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
It looks like a variant on the game War - popular with a younger crowd, not as popular with adults because of the simplicity.  However, your additional rules and special cards add a little more of a challenge, so you might find some more interest in adults.  Fortunately, one doesn't need to be a football/soccer fan to grasp the rules quickly, so anyone can play and find some enjoyment in it.  It makes for a good "beer-and-pretzels" game, played for fun with a handful of friends - except for the fact that it's a two-player game.  Perhaps you can craft rules for four or six players, functioning as two teams?  It has the potential to be a fun party game, and football is more of a group sport than a two-player sport!

I would recommend a slight redesign of the cards.  Most of the people in the world are right-handed and will hold their cards in a right-handed fan, with the upper-left corner exposed.  On your cards, you have the most pertinent information in the upper-right corner instead.  I'd suggest creating a index for the upper-left corner with all of the most critical information located in it.

I would also recommend using a border around the card faces that's the same color on all the cards - I've demonstrated before how a stack of face-down cards with identical backs can actually be identified by their edge when they have different-colored faces, meaning a sharp-eyed player can identify the color (thus the "country") of the card that's next drawn.  Just a thin border of any color will do (white or black would probably be best for your game).  A thin border is enough to make all the cards the same color at the edge, thus indistinguishable in a face-down pile.

A white border on the faces AND the backs will allow the cards to last longer - because they're printed on white paper, cards with black at the bleed will show the paper chips at the edges over time and wear, exposing the white paper underneath.  It's why most poker cards are white-bordered.

I would even take it a step further, taking any game-critical information at the bottom of the card, incorporating it into the index design and making a double-headed card design with double indices, like a traditional poker card with "right-handed" indices - the art can simply be two vertical players, one right-side up, one upside-down, so one of the two will always appear right-side up no matter how the cards are oriented.  It relieves the players of having to rotate the cards themselves in play for them to be readable, which in turn reduces the chances of accidentally exposing a card to an opposing player.

Good luck with your Kickstarter!

Hey Don,

Love your feedback and copying it for future reference.

Scrimmage Team,

All the best for the campaign. This does look good. Make sure that your game features in the Crowdfunding roundup on Board Game Geek soon. Mine was featured recently, and I saw 7 backers immediately (within an hour of it getting up there) coming from BGG. 7 might sound low to you but the Guru Ganjifa campaign hasn't gone well and it was already middle of the campaign.

Also, considering the no. of game projects coming up on Kickstarter, I believe the creators do need to look at the option of offering free worldwide shipping. It may act as a major differentiator to a project.  Here is a post that I referred and had a conversation with David Harding as well before zeroing on the shipping & fulfillment partner. I understand that this may not help you now considering the campaign is already live and you would have found a fulfilment partner, still a good reference for future.

http://secretbasegames.com/secret-blog/20-good-cheap-fast-global-kickstarter-fulfillment-part-3-proof-the-grail-games-interview

Regards,
Sunish

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »

ScrimmageCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hi Sunish,
Thank you for the feedback and advice, much appreciated! We will have a look at the Board Game Geek definitely.

And you do have a point with the shipping. With low cost product it really adds to the price however to make sure the backers get their rewards on time in perfect condition we didn't find a better way without eating up the production budget. But definitely a good reference point for future products!