You are Here:
The Zinfandel Deck - by Eric Mana

Author (Read 16967 times)

Re: The Zinfandel Deck - by Eric Mana
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The back design is a bit better then I first thought but It needs more silver and gold then it has now. I don't like the aces at all (exception AOS). Could have stuck with the v1 ace designs. I never liked over-sized ace pips. Mana AOS was always good.

I'm on the outs. V1 could been an accidental stroke of luck.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:47:17 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »

Colorless Concept

I think the zinfandel deck had something missing in the design,Doesn't feel like this better than the 1st version.I wish Eric Mana can release the old version of the mana deck with the original design(the purple color)

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Erik has revised the front tuck box design. To be honest i didnt think there was any need. In fact, frankly, i think the new revised version detracts from the elegance previously captured in the original design.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Erik has revised the front tuck box design. To be honest i didnt think there was any need. In fact, frankly, i think the new revised version detracts from the elegance previously captured in the original design.

The tuck revision is an improvement. Too many things I'm not fond of though. It also has some big shoes to fill.

- Aces Pips too Large
- Don't like the custom pip designs
- The back design borders are wacky looking.
- Not enough Gold and Silver in the back design
- The card font is awful
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:07:34 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I loved the Mana deck.  I even enjoyed the Verve deck, all three colors - I'm probably among the few people on Earth who actually liked the yellow one.

But this?  I wasn't happy before, now after seeing the new box, I'm even less so.

It's not like he doesn't know good design - what the hell went wrong?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I still like it, we all look at things a little differently so I'm sure what pleases some, will not please others. That being said, I have to agree with Fred, I kind of like the faux "wax seal" more than the updated version, I think it ties into the concept a bit more.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2013, 12:32:07 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
On Eric Mana's website, http://www.erikmana.com/ , it's stated the Zinfandel and Indigo Mana Kickstarter is set to launch Wednesday November 20th. Should be a fun Kickstarter day with Pagan launching the same day too.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 12:36:07 AM »

DJT

I think on the white deck they should use the indigo color for the silver foil accents and the black deck use the Zinfandel color instead of the gold accents. I think that would keep the feel and look of the deck more consistent.

My thoughts.

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
They are live
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/mana-playing-cards-zinfandel-and-indigo

Thought about doing the collector box  but $175 is a bit steep..Settled for 2 decks of each
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:24:32 AM by badpete69 »

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:28:43 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
Settled for 2 decks of each
Same here, although no guarantee I'll actually stick with the pledge.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
It's live http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/mana-playing-cards-zinfandel-and-indigo?ref=card  with early birds

Can we put that link in the first post.  So people don't have to scroll down here...

Edit: Crap just noticed badpete69 already posted it.  I see where this is going. Rob Wright is going to get a run for his money since pete is now hanging around. :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:23:32 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Nah Sprouts.  Just hanging and enjoying new forums for me

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Love those courts. Sleek and elegant. Even if you don't like the new version, this is still a great opportunity to grab some original Manas.

19 bucks for the original deck isn't so bad. I've seen them go for a lot more.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
Love those courts. Sleek and elegant. Even if you don't like the new version, this is still a great opportunity to grab some original Manas.

19 bucks for the original deck isn't so bad. I've seen them go for a lot more.

Oh man. I just saw this. Guess he's taking my money.

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 01:40:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
They are live
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/erikmana/mana-playing-cards-zinfandel-and-indigo

Thought about doing the collector box  but $175 is a bit steep..Settled for 2 decks of each

Hmm...  Launched a day early?  Wasn't it due tomorrow?  (More like later today, since it's really late...)

I guess the release of the Pagan deck from Uusi had him worried!  :))

I have to say, I'm liking the design more than I thought I would, but that earlier opinion was based on what little we were being shown.  Still...  I dunno...

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Project is w/in $300 of goal
Latest update announced marked deck

Update #8                                                             Nov 26, 2013

Fun Secrets...   

Hi guys!

There is a secret to this deck that is very exciting. To those of you who don't know by now, this deck has a Marking System that will allow you to know what each card is just by a quick glance at the back of the cards. To the untrained eye, there is nothing you can see that gives it away, but once you know the secret, the code is very clear.

But that's just a small part of the fun! Here's the catch - I'm not just going to give you the secret code. You have to find it! Each deck will come with a small riddle that will lead you to another riddle and to a password. That password is for a secret link that will be found on my website. Only there will I share the secret code to the deck.

It is a fun and awesome little adventure that only the intrepid few will seek and pass. 

Exciting times ahead! ;)

Cheers!

Erik
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have yet to find a marked deck that didn't use UV inks or daubs or such that I couldn't both spot the markings AND break the code.  Riffling the deck while watching it will give away pretty much all such marked decks, though the better the marks are hidden, the tougher they are to spot.

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:25 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I have yet to find a marked deck that didn't use UV inks or daubs or such that I couldn't both spot the markings AND break the code.  Riffling the deck while watching it will give away pretty much all such marked decks, though the better the marks are hidden, the tougher they are to spot.

In my opinion, the most discrete marking system was the Legend's.

When you riffle it, it just looks like the flames are flickering. I never even suspected it was marked until I read a thread on it.

It should be interesting, though. The Mana's back certainly allows for a marking system.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

In my opinion, the most discrete marking system was the Legend's.

When you riffle it, it just looks like the flames are flickering. I never even suspected it was marked until I read a thread on it.

It should be interesting, though. The Mana's back certainly allows for a marking system.

I would say the Madison Dealers and the Madison Players are tough to spot.  Unfortunately, they're also tough to read compared to something like GT Speedreaders or the Ultimate Marked Deck.

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Since I was super late to the kickstarter party, this project has become the first one that I've backed - landed the last set of 2 for $20.  Although I think the Oracle's are my favorite, I'm excited to get the Zinfandel deck as it's a pretty unique color and I may be in the minority, but the indigo deck is very striking to me.  I'm pretty confident I know what he's going to do for the marking system, or at least where on the cards to find it.  The only marked deck I've ever used are the Madison Players, I just don't have a good routine to fit marked cards into (if anyone has any, please pm me). 

Anyways, I'm pretty excited to have backed my first project and to see what projects 2014 brings.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Since I was super late to the kickstarter party, this project has become the first one that I've backed - landed the last set of 2 for $20.  Although I think the Oracle's are my favorite, I'm excited to get the Zinfandel deck as it's a pretty unique color and I may be in the minority, but the indigo deck is very striking to me.  I'm pretty confident I know what he's going to do for the marking system, or at least where on the cards to find it.  The only marked deck I've ever used are the Madison Players, I just don't have a good routine to fit marked cards into (if anyone has any, please pm me). 

Anyways, I'm pretty excited to have backed my first project and to see what projects 2014 brings.

There are no shortage of routines that you can use a marked deck for.  One of my favorites is to use a marked deck in concert with an invisible deck.  I allow the spectator to choose the card from the marked deck, then reveal it using the invisible deck.  It works even better if you use a Gambler's Deck - it has markings to tell you both the top and bottom cards of the deck.  You can have the spectator cut the deck and show them the bottom card - they'll never imagine you're using a marked deck since you don't even see the back of their card.  Done twice in a row, it really bugs people out.

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I never knew marked decks existed. That is one of the coolest things ever. I may be in for one now. Might just have to get some money together for it. Do we know which deck it will be on? The Indigo or Zinfandel? Both?

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I never knew marked decks existed. That is one of the coolest things ever. I may be in for one now. Might just have to get some money together for it. Do we know which deck it will be on? The Indigo or Zinfandel? Both?

Wait, you NEVER knew that marked decks exist?  You must be VERY young!  I remember as a kid finding really cheapo marked decks as well as some overly complicated ones like the DeLand Automatic Deck - it was marked to the point that you could track the location of EVERY card in the deck, but it was terribly obvious that the design wasn't that of a straight deck.  A small difference is hard to spot, but the DeLand deck had over fifty small differences on each card back!

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Haha would you consider 19 to be very young? I am certainly young in terms of plying cards and experience. I have only been collecting for just over 2 months now and have learned tons already. As I can see though, I have a lot more to learn.

It is tough juggle my time between reading the discourse and studying for finals… The discourse normally wins lol

I really am interested in getting my hands on a marked deck sometime. I might wait for these cards to go public and then pick up a deck on ebay or something.