« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I don't! Would you mind posting it then? ::)
You got it!

EDIT: Sorry, typo. I meant the petal gaps are wider on one end than on the other.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:34:17 PM by kensei777 »
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

Re: hidden 1-way back decks
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I don't! Would you mind posting it then? ::)
You got it!

EDIT: Sorry, typo. I meant the petal gaps are wider on one end than on the other.

I feel that would be too hard to see if it was in somebody else's hand and if I was holding the deck I would need a magnifying glass to see it! That is one I would have NEVER caught!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 03:44:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
That Circle Back mark might be a simple printer's error - bear in mind, these were originally hand-drawn designs.  Does it exist on standard Circle Backs as well as the gold border ones?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That Circle Back mark might be a simple printer's error - bear in mind, these were originally hand-drawn designs.  Does it exist on standard Circle Backs as well as the gold border ones?
I believe it's on all Circle backs. I even have that on the Tally-Ho Vipers Circle Back.
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
wow that is very hard to see .. how long did you spent finding that?

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hmm... I'm not sure. I didn't know about one-way backs before so I never really bothered. I just noticed it one day then I was obsessed. The rest are taking me around 15 seconds to a minute from opening a deck (Except for those darn transducers, unless they are aren't really one-way).   :-[

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
And I have just confirmed that the Tally-Ho Titaniums Circle Back have them too(I just opened one).  :P

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hmm... I'm not sure. I didn't know about one-way backs before so I never really bothered. I just noticed it one day then I was obsessed. The rest are taking me around 15 seconds to a minute from opening a deck (Except for those darn transducers, unless they are aren't really one-way).   :-[

Try this with the Transducers or any other complex back design, if you have some appropriate image software.

Scan an image of the back.  Save a copy of the "clean" scan, then tweak the colorations of the scan to make sort of an "inverse" image out of colors that blend to create a new color - for example, a red back could be shifted to light blue, giving you a pale purple when blended.  Now rotate the tweaked image, give it some transparency and superimpose it on top of the original image.  Look for places where either the original color or the tweaked color appear instead of the blended color.

You probably don't need a full-blown copy of Photoshop to do this - anything that allows you to play with color, orientation and opacity should do the trick.

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
Photo from Derek911
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:40 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Try this with the Transducers or any other complex back design, if you have some appropriate image software.

Scan an image of the back.  Save a copy of the "clean" scan, then tweak the colorations of the scan to make sort of an "inverse" image out of colors that blend to create a new color - for example, a red back could be shifted to light blue, giving you a pale purple when blended.  Now rotate the tweaked image, give it some transparency and superimpose it on top of the original image.  Look for places where either the original color or the tweaked color appear instead of the blended color.

You probably don't need a full-blown copy of Photoshop to do this - anything that allows you to play with color, orientation and opacity should do the trick.

:o  Nosebleed.... Hehehe

I'll try it out... someday... if I feel like it  :P
I dunno. It really is giving me a headache and I'm starting to believe it's not a one-way back like the normal rider backs(at least I believe they aren't).  ???

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:21 AM »

Jamie D. Grant

True Story

Years ago, three friends and I were sitting in a coffee shop talking magic and drinking coffee (actually, I think Sean was having hot chocolate. Light weight!). Needless to say, there were cards on the table and laughter in the air. A tall blonde walks by us towards the counter and stops dead in her tracks.

"What are you doing?" she asks in an eastern European accent.

"Wha?" is our universal reply. Our natural instincts rack our minds for what we're doing wrong- the only time we're asked "what we're doing."

"Are you performing magic tricks?" she asks. Keep in mind, she hasn't even ordered yet. She's halfway across the floor but decided to stop at our table.

"Yeah." one of us replies.

"Let me show you one." She doesn't wait for us to answer. She grabs the first deck she sees, removes four face cards, places them face-up, in a row, and asks us to turn one around- end for end- when her back is turned. We do. Second card from the left. She turns around, looks at them quickly and pushes forward the Jack. The exact card we had spun.

"It was that one."

We're gobsmacked. "Do it again."

"No problem." she says, her accent clipped. And she did. Five times in a row.

"That's enough."

She left without ordering anything.

It took us the rest of the night before we learned that all face cards are 1-Way backs. Practice is everything. Do one thing and do it well and you'll be remembered forever.

My best,

jamie d. grant
www.SendWonder.com

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

Jamie D. Grant

Has anyone tried it yet? Pull out 4 face cards from any deck there is and see if you can tell which one is spun? Depending on the deck, I'm almost 9 out of 10 times.

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
That's very interesting... I wonder just how widespread this phenomenon is? Jamie, was the deck used in your story a standard deck of Bicycles?
Forum Founder.

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:53 PM »

Jamie D. Grant

Yup. It was crazy.

But now when I look at facecards on any deck, I'm looking to see how well everything is centered...

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So Standard Bicycle decks have a one-way back?  ???

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=373766&forum=203
The second comment pretty much proves this story right, although. I do know already that bees have one way backs and that borders on bikes usually arent the same size all around the card.

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So Standard Bicycle decks have a one-way back?  ???

No sir. He said face cards  :P

Anyway, that's a neat little info. I never really noticed since I always look at the back. I'm going to double back on my standard bikes and see if it is off center.  :-\

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 11:09:47 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I'm still a little confused on how it can be seen that it isn't a 2-way face card? It's off center on one side or is an element of the face card that is off center?

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

Jamie D. Grant

I find it easier to notice with Face Cards. Take a bunch out and look at how they're centered on the card...

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The deal with Bicycles (and many other decks from USPC) is that they aim for making the most precise center cuts for the backs of the cards.  (Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail miserably, as we all know!)  Now, unless they took the time and patience (and high quality control) to print the front of the uncut sheet so the faces and backs are precisely registered with each other, the faces are often a little off-center compared to the backs.  To USPC, this is less important - as well as to the majority of card players.  As long as the back is centered, the deck doesn't have a visible one-way margin effect when seen held in a player's hand or lying on a card table.  It's actually pretty rare to see a deck that's perfectly centered, front and back, using today's mass production methods.  They could probably make them that well - but anything that increases the cost of production cuts into their profit, and they're more concerned about making that extra buck than making sure that the faces are perfectly centered.

As I see it, if they're close to centered, great.  Perfection isn't necessary, just "close enough" in most cases.  It would be great to get them perfect, but it would probably jack up the per-deck prices on any deck using that printing/cutting method.  Anybody here want to pay a premium for a minor feature that doesn't really affect their magic, cardistry or card playing?  [Sounds of crickets chirping.]  I thought so!  :))

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

Siegismyname

• Discourse Deity
  • Food. Magic. Music
Actually I have no probelms with slightly non centered backs as this opens the room for some tricks that requires the selected card to be 'marked'. Laymen should also have no probelms with off centered backs. These are the cards that make the perfect hidden one way backs.

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Actually I have no probelms with slightly non centered backs as this opens the room for some tricks that requires the selected card to be 'marked'. Laymen should also have no probelms with off centered backs. These are the cards that make the perfect hidden one way backs.

Some laymen wouldn't care.  Poker players might.  Anything that allows one to distinguish cards in the deck from each other is heavily frowned upon among serious card players.  It's a big reason why so many of them have migrated to using plastic decks - they're harder to ruin with kicks, creases, etc., in addition to lasting so much longer.

I've had laymen spectators spot one-way margins during a trick, as well.  I try using a more subtle one-way back, or I use the deck in a way that the back design doesn't matter, like making extra cards appear in a packet the spectator is "protecting".

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Although I play card games, I play none for money, and I don't really care about non-centered backs.

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I often play cards and it is vital that a cards back is centered. Once you notice that a back isn't centered it will stick out like a sore thumb. From that point you can pick out a card based on it's back which can ruin a game. So even to a person who doesn't play high stakes or for money at all it is important.

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »

saurcerer

• Newcomer
Dunno if bumping this thread up is a good idea, but here goes my first post:

The vintage design New Fan Back deck also has a subtle one way back.
If you look at the border of the fan, the density of lines on one side is more than the other. Its subtle but jumps out at you once you know it.