Playing cards sellers in Australia

Author (Read 1622 times)

Playing cards sellers in Australia
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:24:21 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hi All,

Just want to know especially from fellow aussie collectors, if there is any good playing cards seller in Australia or any other country that doesn't cost a fortune to ship  playing card?

This will helps a lot, not wasting lots of money for postage.

thanks
Back for more

Re: Playing cards sellers in Australia
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The only one I know of is http://www.theflush.com.au/ - and I'm not even Aussie.  Not even a Kiwi, either!  Last time I looked they seemed expensive, but that has been some time ago.

Try looking for magic shops and not just card dealers.  Many if not most carry all the unique decks (or as many as they can find).

Another option you might consider is http://magiccastle.com.sg - from Singapore, naturally.  Their selection is not bad at all and I found their prices reasonable even buying from the US and including the shipping.  Better still, they also carry many of the "Asia-only" decks that have become a growing new trend.  A handful of deck producers, usually from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. will special-order a deck from USPC, but have the entire print run shipped to them in Asia, where they'll be sold out at original retail in no time flat.  Sometimes they set aside some decks for sale to the rest of the world - and sometimes they don't!  Singapore's Magic Castle does get them occasionally and offers them to anyone, anywhere.  It's where I got my Bicycle Transducer Night Sakura Edition decks, several weeks before US distribution began.

At today's exchange rate, an Aussie dollar is worth SG$1.06, giving you a slight edge in exchange rates.  It used to be that way with the Aussie and US dollars, each valued pretty closely to the other, but these days an Aussie dollar is hovering between US$0.70 and $0.75.  What happened?  I have no clue.  Do you know what caused the rate to change so dramatically?  Anyway, you can improve the deal a bit with memberships - they offer regular and Gold, with Gold having a higher discount and the ability to sell your new decks on consignment through the shop.

Otherwise, just put out the call to your fellow Aussies around this forum - there's no shortage of them.  Who knows - you might be able to conjure up a buying club between the lot of you and save on foreign orders.  Maybe even open a shop!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:43:22 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:51 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
The only one I know of is http://www.theflush.com.au/ - and I'm not even Aussie.  Not even a Kiwi, either!  Last time I looked they seemed expensive, but that has been some time ago.

Try looking for magic shops and not just card dealers.  Many if not most carry all the unique decks (or as many as they can find).

Another option you might consider is http://magiccastle.com.sg - from Singapore, naturally.  Their selection is not bad at all and I found their prices reasonable even buying from the US and including the shipping.  Better still, they also carry many of the "Asia-only" decks that have become a growing new trend.  A handful of deck producers, usually from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. will special-order a deck from USPC, but have the entire print run shipped to them in Asia, where they'll be sold out at original retail in no time flat.  Sometimes they set aside some decks for sale to the rest of the world - and sometimes they don't!  Singapore's Magic Castle does get them occasionally and offers them to anyone, anywhere.  It's where I got my Bicycle Transducer Night Sakura Edition decks, several weeks before US distribution began.

At today's exchange rate, an Aussie dollar is worth SG$1.06, giving you a slight edge in exchange rates.  It used to be that way with the Aussie and US dollars, each valued pretty closely to the other, but these days an Aussie dollar is hovering between US$0.70 and $0.75.  What happened?  I have no clue.  Do you know what caused the rate to change so dramatically?  Anyway, you can improve the deal a bit with memberships - they offer regular and Gold, with Gold having a higher discount and the ability to sell your new decks on consignment through the shop.

Otherwise, just put out the call to your fellow Aussies around this forum - there's no shortage of them.  Who knows - you might be able to conjure up a buying club between the lot of you and save on foreign orders.  Maybe even open a shop!

I had a look at the flush website and they are expensive, I would rather get the cards from artofplay and shipped it down.

The Aussie dollar had been pretty weak in the last half year.. I don't really know why either. I'm not into these things, all I know it hurts my pocket when I want to get stuff overseas.
I had browsed magic castle before and they do have a lot of stocks, I might give it a try. 

In Australia there are not many magic shops around and they carry very little stock of playing cards. I know there is http://heyprestomagic.com.au who claimed to be the biggest magic shop in the Southern Hemisphere. They have lots of playing cards on the website but when I when to the shop, there aren't many left and most of the unique cards is no longer available.. Such a pity I missed all this opportunity by not getting into card collecting earlier..  :(

About getting some Aussie connection is a good idea, ANY AUSSIE CARD COLLECTOR HERE??  :D. I'm in eastern side of Melbourne.. PM me if you are from around here
Back for more

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:23:29 AM »

Leo

• Lurker
Hey mate,
Where are you located in Mel? I am passionate about cardistry as well as collecting playing cards

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 05:52:12 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
oh hi there  :D
I am in knox area. where about are you?

Back for more

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 06:07:46 AM »

Leo

• Lurker
I am currently living in Heidelberg West, 10 km north-east of Melbourne CBD
Been doing cardistry for nearly 5 years and collecting cards for about 3 years
Good to know you.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
 :) nice to know you too.. I am not as experienced as you, since I only started collecting about November last year.

where do you normally get your cards from? I found it hard to get something locally.

Back for more

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 07:19:08 AM »

Leo

• Lurker
I often get mah cards from cardvolution, sometimes from ebay and by trading with mah international friends. Apart from collecting, are you interested in cardistry or magic mate?

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:30:48 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I am learning basic card magic and a little of card flourishes as well.
I am having trouble improving my flourishes  :(

Back for more

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »

HudsonDesign

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
  • Upcycle your life

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Ok!

I actually order a lot in bulk and ship them here to offset my own costs then trade and sell them off to others here.  Forming a nice little network of aussie friends to sell and trade between.

You should learn who the Aussies are and join the various other Facebook groups as well as the forums here.

On Facebook the collecting playing cards group is pretty tight knit.  And the cards club by victor is more of a billboard for cards and victors own videos than a community but it's still got some valuable information and you see people selling and trading.  There are also various other buy and trade groups. 

Plus don't forget the same pages and posts here on the forum and others.

In saying that if your looking for cards Aussie just hit me up with a PM.  I can give you some names to know who I know is ok from prior dealing. And can give you a list of stuff I have.  I'm thinking of starting a group myself for Aussies so that we know who's who and who has what.  Perhaps it could be a aussie price page.  Aussie dollars including aussie shipping.

Also don't write off the flush just yet.

Some of their stuff might seem expensive until you realise that some of it is not available anywhere other than eBay.  Plus Joey is one of the nicest guys on the planet.  Straight shooter and he is a collector trying to help aussie collectors.  The flush is not run by some big business.  It's run by a local and one of us.  Also important to mention is that although it has some staples on it Joey spends a lot of time trying to find he rarer decks and bring me down here (he's been selling jaqks for way cheaper than eBay, and oracles too).  And don't forget it's generally including shipping costs (I think 2 or 3 decks or more is shipping included?). Although should mention the flush is not shipping for a couple of weeks while he's over in the states having a well earned rest and also going around grabbing decks from our American card brothers!

Anyway.  PM me and we can connect.  Also anyone else in Aus is free to do so.  Might look into that as a way to increase our own little down under community!