Advice wanted on launching new projects

Author (Read 1041 times)

Advice wanted on launching new projects
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
  • Life's too short for boring playing cards
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate a quick word of advice regarding launching new projects.

Normally I would wait until a project is 100% produced and shipped out to backers before launching a new one. That means aprox 3 months between campaigns. I've made and shipped 3 projects so far (prism night, pipmen red & black and pipmen shadow), and I am currently running the Medieval campaign for Egor. I was hoping to launch Prism day and Dusk in early October to finish the series before the years end (I have really exciting things planned for 2017), but this would require me to launch prism before medieval had completed shipping.

Do you think that is acceptable, or should I wait until new years to do a new project? Is October even a good time to launch projects? What are your thoughts? The Prism project is all ready to go, just waiting...

Re: Advice wanted on launching new projects
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Launch it ;) You have a great track record.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Hi everyone,

Normally I would wait until a project is 100% produced and shipped out to backers before launching a new one. That means aprox 3 months between campaigns. I've made and shipped 3 projects so far (prism night, pipmen red & black and pipmen shadow), and I am currently running the Medieval campaign for Egor. I was hoping to launch Prism day and Dusk in early October to finish the series before the years end (I have really exciting things planned for 2017), but this would require me to launch prism before medieval had completed shipping.

Do you think that is acceptable, or should I wait until new years to do a new project? Is October even a good time to launch projects? What are your thoughts? The Prism project is all ready to go, just waiting...

Hi Ben,

This is what Kickstarter says. I've seen creators running projects one after the other without fulfilling the earlier one. YMMV.

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creator+questions#faq_41837

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi everyone,

It's not unheard of for creators to do this.  You have a proven track record thus far, so you should be OK.

Having said that, I'd suggest waiting until you were at least far enough into Medieval that you had most of the "heavy lifting" completed before launching a new project, just to insure that you weren't going to hit any snags in one project while another was still running or waiting to be fulfilled.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »

Fud

• Elite Member
  • Life's too short for boring playing cards
Good advice all.

I will plan to launch a new project in October, which will give time for the production of the current one to get completed, and allow time for the production of the new deck do be complete before Christmas.

Looking forward to it!