You are Here:
New design

Author (Read 1370 times)

New design
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Hello my friends from the playing card forum! Viva Mexico was a success and most decks have been delivered by now (a few internationals haven't seen theirs yet, soon though!)

I did disappear not because I got all big headed - I went trough a rough time and have very minimal internet access.

I'm back though, and have once again teamed up with AV to bring a new deck of cards. I always appreciate the support and honesty of this forum. Viva Mexico wouldn't have been possible without you all. So here I introduce a back design we have created. I will have more cards coming very soon.

Be as harsh as you need to be ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:37:28 PM by Jay Losa »

Re: New design
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 01:39:55 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Here's the courts, number cards, and jokers
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:41:16 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »

Helshawk

Interesting concept.  The figures look really good.  Have you thought about using other colors beside shades of green?  It seems odd, to me, that the corresponding pipped cards for hearts and diamonds uses red while the court cards are not.  And the diamond and club pips look just a tad more busy than the heart and spade pips.  Perhaps, like the heart and spade pips, the shards of crystal could have more variety in their sizes and shapes. I like the twist on the joker cards with one small exception.  There is a loose feather that looks nothing like the other feathers on the bird and looks out of place.  That's my two cents (and it may not even be worth that!)  Good luck and I look forward to seeing where this one ends up.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello my friends from the playing card forum! Viva Mexico was a success and most decks have been delivered by now (a few internationals haven't seen theirs yet, soon though!)

I did disappear not because I got all big headed - I went trough a rough time and have very minimal internet access.

I'm back though, and have once again teamed up with AV to bring a new deck of cards. I always appreciate the support and honesty of this forum. Viva Mexico wouldn't have been possible without you all. So here I introduce a back design we have created. I will have more cards coming very soon.

Be as harsh as you need to be ;)

I'll try not to be too harsh...  But I do have to be a little critical!

It looks like an unfinished product.  If it's an art deck, it's a bit too minimal; if it's a minimalist design, it's got a bit too much going on in it.  Aside from "rock-like, unfinished sculptures," there's not much by way of an apparent theme here.

Is there a story behind the concept?  What is that story?  How can you better convey that story to your potential customers?  In short, what makes this deck better/more interesting/more attractive/cooler than what I can find elsewhere?  Finding answers to these questions will go a long way to improving what you have - which is actually a decent start, to be honest, but like I said, it just doesn't look finished.  I've seen similar designs, but none quite like this, so there is some raw potential in there that, with proper development, can become an impressive deck design.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:18 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hmmms... I like it overall. I don't know that I like it for a premium price though. For me the courts are figure study and the pips are afterthought, however interesting. Figure study isn't something I tend to want to pay a premium price for, but it is something I'll buy off an etsy artist to show support if it's done well, which I feel this is. I have a couple suggestions which you may want to consider. Adding to the depth of the base color at the moment there is base color and two hues, al la hanna barbara cartoons. Then add in a contrasting color or two with a little blendy bland to rock up that all important third color. Contrasting colors quickly draw they eye. If done with patience and time the figure studies could come alive. The female figure's boobs come off pretty bad. No depth, consider a couple more facets on those as well as the males who suffer from the same ailment, the appearance of a void rather protruding forms. Can be done with class and retain the overall feel of the figures.

The pips as they are remind me of a seismic show, like something being shattered or having been shattered by seismic activity. Is that what it's intended as, or are they pips composed of shards? I'm confused by what's going on there exactly and I don't like to be confused by pips. It's one of those things that can instantly cause a "No thank you" response from the human eye. When you have just a glance for the mind to register a yay or nay, having a clear what it is can absolutely help garner that Yay response. The chunky bits on the hearts and spades help and I like them better than the clubs and diamonds which are similar size and shape bits in composition. Which strikes me as particularly odd since I'm a Diamonds man myself, they're almost always my favorite suit and pip. So if I, being someone who favors the diamond pip, doesn't feel any connection or draw to this particular pip it makes me wonder what others would think and would pass over with that initial glance.

The card back is well, boring I'm afraid. Again the issue here is lack of color and focus for my eye. Sure there's a couple chums screaming out from within the mass, but do my eyes care? No, no they don't. There is no reason for my eyes to care, because you're not meeting my eyes half way. When art isn't making any attempt to meet the eye, there isn't any reason for they eye to do the work and find the "secret squirrel" hidden within. It's just how our brains work. There are all kinds of hidden image art out there, some work and some don't. The one's that don't are in the same situation here, they're not giving you a focus to work with. There are so many wonderful facets for you to work with here to help give the eye a focus, to help in meeting the eye half way. I hope you take advantage of it. Out of curiosity, why are the nose holes round? They contrast against the art in a negative manner with that form. Feels like something is a miss from my perspective, something does not belong. That's the nose holes. They have the pig nose feel, orc stuff, legion, call it what you will but it's there. Is that purposely done? I have no idea if this is a sci fi theme deck of something I know nothing about or what. Maybe it's the monster from planet X on an old star trek episode or something.

There's a backstory here I think, and none of us knows what it is haha. We're going off what we see. I think it's cool and I think it's a great start for what could be an interesting deck. As is, I wouldn't shell out the premium price a KS campaign demands though, regardless of who does the printing.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hola Jay! Glad to see you back (though sorry to hear you've been through a tough time...) I followed your Viva Mexico deck here and really like what you put together. Congratulations :)  This new deck you're working on is quite different in style and it would be interesting to hear a little more about the story behind the design :)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Thank you all for your input. I have read ALL your comments and for some reason thought I replied. I was wrong.

This is an idea AV and I had and are putting on the shelve for now.

In the mean time, check out my latest post on here about a deck we WILL be launching soon :)