Author (Read 9464 times)

Fully-Custom ANCIENT ROME Deck
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:32 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Everyone,

I haven't done this since working on the Imperial Deck, but I thought it would be fun to start a thread in the Drafting section while I work on my next project. My next fully-custom design will center around a theme I've wanted to tackle for years - Ancient ROME!

Last night I finished the first Character Drawing - Julius Caesar. There are still plenty of other elements I need to create before putting him into an actual Court Card layout, but it's a start!

The Logo is something I whipped up real quick. I'll probably change it as time goes by. I'll post updates every 2-3 weeks as the project progresses. I'm shooting for a May / June / July.... KS launch (or whenever it's ready).

thanks, Randy

Re: Fully-Custom ANCIENT ROME Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,

I haven't done this since working on the Imperial Deck, but I thought it would be fun to start a thread in the Drafting section while I work on my next project. My next fully-custom design will center around a theme I've wanted to tackle for years - Ancient ROME!

Last night I finished the first Character Drawing - Julius Caesar. There are still plenty of other elements I need to create before putting him into an actual Court Card layout, but it's a start!

The Logo is something I whipped up real quick. I'll probably change it as time goes by. I'll post updates every 2-3 weeks as the project progresses. I'm shooting for a May / June / July.... KS launch (or whenever it's ready).

thanks, Randy

One word:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »

Sarah F

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
What an awesome theme! Looks great.
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Thanks Don and Sarah!

I'll try my hardest to make it an exceptional design!!
This is definitely a theme that interests me immensely.

I haven't been this excited about a theme since starting on the Imperial Deck (still my favorite of my designs).

thanks, Randy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Here's the look of the Court Cards' layout! I may do some minor changes as I go, but I'm really liking the look and feel of it. The Back Card design will have a flipped version of the diagonal Banner from the Faces. The diagonal Banner for the Courts and Spades suits will be a different color and different pattern, but the edges for all are a 30c, 30m, 30y, 100k Rich Black color-build that will eliminate marked Face Cards.

Here's a Link to a better quality image:  http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/CaesarCourt.jpg

thanks, Randy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:30:20 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Looks really good Randy.. Another awesome work!!  :D
Back for more

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 12:03:38 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here's the look of the Court Cards' layout! I may do some minor changes as I go, but I'm really liking the look and feel of it. The Back Card design will have a flipped version of the diagonal Banner from the Faces. The diagonal Banner for the Courts and Spades suits will be a different color and different pattern, but the edges for all are a 30c, 30m, 30y, 100k Rich Black color-build that will eliminate marked Face Cards.

Here's a Link to a better quality image:  http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/CaesarCourt.jpg

thanks, Randy

Be careful about who's doing the print work for you.  With that banner, if the die cutting isn't precise enough, you could end up with a one-way design.  I made a video about this with the Empire deck.  It had a horizontal band that printed into the bleed area on the front and back of each card.  Because of slight miscutting, I was able to rotate any card 180 degrees, slip it into the deck, shuffle it and then find it with nearly the same ease as if I was using a stripper deck, looking only at the edge of the deck.  The video's a little long and perhaps a little boring, but I perform that stunt near the end.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:31 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Thanks Hank!!

Hey Don,

I guess that rules out USPCC!! Just kidding, but not really.

Legends will be printing them. Lawrence and I have been already talking over details on the printing features I want to use for the Tucks, and the Limited Toga Sleeves.

I'm being very careful with the color builds and size of the Black feather edge of the diagonal banner. The 30, 30, 30, 100 Rich Black extends a little over 1/8" into the banner area, before shifting to the dominant magenta and yellow inks that make-up the Red areas of the banner (and same with the future Clubs and Spades banner of a different color). That 1/8" "border" is probably double the width of the white feather border on the Empire Cards. It should be all good. Especially with the great registration of the LPCC / EPCC printer!

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Hank!!

Hey Don,

I guess that rules out USPCC!! Just kidding, but not really.

Legends will be printing them. Lawrence and I have been already talking over details on the printing features I want to use for the Tucks, and the Limited Toga Sleeves.

I'm being very careful with the color builds and size of the Black feather edge of the diagonal banner. The 30, 30, 30, 100 Rich Black extends a little over 1/8" into the banner area, before shifting to the dominant magenta and yellow inks that make-up the Red areas of the banner (and same with the future Clubs and Spades banner of a different color). That 1/8" "border" is probably double the width of the white feather border on the Empire Cards. It should be all good. Especially with the great registration of the LPCC / EPCC printer!

Thanks, Randy

I'm not worried about the color aspect - your deck doesn't share that issue with the original Empire decks, you have that under control.  The concern is that a millimeter or two off on the cut will leave you with a deck that is completely one-way from the back, the front and the side edges where the banner runs into the bleed.  It really will take GREAT registration.  Either that or you can gild the edges, completely obscuring the spot where the card was cut under a layer of fine metal foil.  That would be a gorgeous fix, I'd think, though the cost of the deck would rise dramatically.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »

JackofDiamonds

• Twitter:
I'm not worried about the color aspect - your deck doesn't share that issue with the original Empire decks, you have that under control.  The concern is that a millimeter or two off on the cut will leave you with a deck that is completely one-way from the back, the front and the side edges where the banner runs into the bleed.  It really will take GREAT registration.  Either that or you can gild the edges, completely obscuring the spot where the card was cut under a layer of fine metal foil.  That would be a gorgeous fix, I'd think, though the cost of the deck would rise dramatically.

Hey Don. Gilding really is beautiful, but I've always wondered how it holds up to shuffling. It seems like the foil would be prone to flaking off. You wouldn't happen to know, would you?

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Hey Don,

Worrying about whether or not the printer can do their job correctly is not the deciding factor when I think of a design. If it was, I would've never done the Face / Back borders on the ORNATES, or the symmetrical designs on the Draconian and Honeybee Backs that necessitated an extremely precise cut. If every Deck Designer was too cautious, every Deck would be boring and safe (and with a large white border)! What's the fun in that?

Legends has never done a bad trim job on any of my Decks, so I have full confidence in their work. I have been working in the Print Industry for over 20 years now, so I know how to setup a print file to give it the best opportunity to print pretty and precise.

I would never do a full print run with Gilded Edges. That just makes the Deck unusable for a lot of practical uses. I may do 100 or so Gilded versions of the Rome Decks though (Gold with the Gold Deck, Red with the Red Deck).

thanks, Randy

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Hey Don. Gilding really is beautiful, but I've always wondered how it holds up to shuffling. It seems like the foil would be prone to flaking off. You wouldn't happen to know, would you?

Done well, handmade gilded decks can be HIGHLY durable, more than I realized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZnUkEhbgw

It's when it's done cheaply, using paint instead of foil, that you have a lot of flaking issues.

Hey Don,

Worrying about whether or not the printer can do their job correctly is not the deciding factor when I think of a design. If it was, I would've never done the Face / Back borders on the ORNATES, or the symmetrical designs on the Draconian and Honeybee Backs that necessitated an extremely precise cut. If every Deck Designer was too cautious, every Deck would be boring and safe (and with a large white border)! What's the fun in that?

Legends has never done a bad trim job on any of my Decks, so I have full confidence in their work. I have been working in the Print Industry for over 20 years now, so I know how to setup a print file to give it the best opportunity to print pretty and precise.

I would never do a full print run with Gilded Edges. That just makes the Deck unusable for a lot of practical uses. I may do 100 or so Gilded versions of the Rome Decks though (Gold with the Gold Deck, Red with the Red Deck).

thanks, Randy

Don't get me wrong - I think the design's going to look awesome.  And you're correct - if every deck took the safest route, they'd be a little bland.  Legends (and you) should be able to do this deck justice in that department.

As I said above, you'd be surprised at what you can do with a properly-gilded deck.  Even faro shuffles aren't out of the question.  But the process of doing it well is VERY time-consuming and costly.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:51 PM »

JackofDiamonds

• Twitter:
As I said above, you'd be surprised at what you can do with a properly-gilded deck.  Even faro shuffles aren't out of the question.  But the process of doing it well is VERY time-consuming and costly.

I haven't been able to find anyone offering it as a service, at least not for playing cards. Is it something that would need to be done yourself?

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

I haven't been able to find anyone offering it as a service, at least not for playing cards. Is it something that would need to be done yourself?

I know Gamblers Warehouse offers up Gilded Edges. Since they'll be handling the fulfillment, I've already inquired to Eddie about the prices for the Rome KS campaign. I'll probably get 100-200 of each Deck Gilded.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:48:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Gilding is something typically done by the manufacturer, though a skilled artisan could probably gild any new deck.  Few people have the skill and the materials are expensive and very delicate.

Gambler's Warehouse is equipped to handling gilding because in addition to retailing and distribution, they own Liberty Printing, their own playing card printing company.  Once in a while, they release their own designs from their own press, but most of their own decks have been made either with Expert PCC or USPC.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:55:15 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 11:59:09 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Gilding is something typically done by the manufacturer, though a skilled artisan could probably gild any new deck.  Few people have the skill and the materials are expensive and very delicate.

I do know that the EPCC / LPCC Printer strongly dislikes doing Gilded Edges. Lawrence has mentioned that it's too much waste for them to even offer it.

It seems like USPCC is back-and-forth on whether they offer Gilded Edges or not. For them, I think it just depends on what day it is! They change their minds on just about every printing feature, on a monthly basis.

Randy

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I do know that the EPCC / LPCC Printer strongly dislikes doing Gilded Edges. Lawrence has mentioned that it's too much waste for them to even offer it.

It seems like USPCC is back-and-forth on whether they offer Gilded Edges or not. For them, I think it just depends on what day it is! They change their minds on just about every printing feature, on a monthly basis.

Randy

Uusi mentioned to me once that USPC stated they'd only do gilding on a minimum print run of 10,000 decks.  It's not likely they'll be getting many takers, factoring in the additional cost not just of the process but of buying so many decks in the first place.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:15 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

I finished up the second Court over the weekend - Mark Antony!
Now I'm jumping into Augustus, before tackling a Queen.

I also did some minor adjustments on the darkness of the Map background, making it darker in the areas to the right and left of the Court characters. Their names are also subtly added to the Map area, just south of Spain. I wanted to go with their full names, but they're much too long for such a small area!

Here's a link to a Hi Res version:  http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/ROMEPair.jpg

thanks, Randy

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Randy - Is your diagonal bleed going to reflect in your BackOfCard.  You have to think what you will see when it bleeds over.  What we we see on the side of the deck.  Is it going to be a black line? 

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 01:20:45 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Randy - Is your diagonal bleed going to reflect in your BackOfCard.  You have to think what you will see when it bleeds over.  What we we see on the side of the deck.  Is it going to be a black line?

Yep, a flipped version of the Banners will be on the Back Cards' designs. The edges will be completely symmetrical on front and back, so there will be a black edge taking up about 1/3 of each long edge. The remaining areas of the edges will be the lighter tan colors.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yep, a flipped version of the Banners will be on the Back Cards' designs. The edges will be completely symmetrical on front and back, so there will be a black edge taking up about 1/3 of each long edge. The remaining areas of the edges will be the lighter tan colors.

Thanks, Randy

The fade-to-black at the die line will make these look very nice - as well as identical from card to card, flipped or inverted as well as "straight."

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:21 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Randy - You're up to 2 stars now.  And yes the black in the diagonal of the courts breaks the rules and you make it work.  I can't believed you showed that card.  Thank you.  To know, that the black will be on the BackOfCard is great. I do think the Spade and Black needs to be switched.  Dominate Black on the top Left.  Light black on the right.  YOur red is perfect.  Heart's red top left.   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:25:16 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Randy - You're up to 2 stars now.  And yes the black in the diagonal of the courts breaks the rules and you make it work.  I can't believed you showed that card.  Thank you.  To know, that the black will be on the BackOfCard is great. I do think the Spade and Black needs to be switched.  Dominate Black on the top Left.  Light black on the right.  YOur red is perfect.  Heart's red top left.   

Hey Russell,

I think you're mostly referring to my reply to your comments on UC!!

I played around with the Spades and Clubs with the coloring you mention (and played around with them in Dark Blue also). The way I'm showing them looks the best out of all the options, and matches with the Red PIPs nicely.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Randy - Opps, you are right.  I guess you catch me on a drunk post. 

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:42 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Here's the finished King of Hearts - Augustus!

Link to Higher Res version:  http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/ROMEKingHeart.jpg

thanks, Randy