Wooden cards project

Author (Read 2915 times)

Wooden cards project
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hello from PCF newcomer.
I have already mentioned, that i am from Baltic country of woods and beautiful nature.
So this project is connect some interesting design skills with material, which is so close to paper, and natural, because is made from plywood.
Project has some starting points, so i want to show you couple of different designs.
I have marked photo with numbers, it will be more comfortable for discussion.
I would like to hear some thoughts and feedback about them!
Thanks!

Re: Wooden cards project
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:29:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, a few questions...

So, you're planning to make the entire deck - all of the decks, in fact - on plywood?  Will it be hand-painted or would you be using some kind of printing process?  We've had one other project hit Kickstarter for plywood playing cards - and those were actually capable of being riffle-shuffled, to a certain extent.  We've also seen projects for cards on metal, carbon fiber weave and Kevlar.  Personally, I find them to be too much of a novelty, but there are a good number of people who buy them, so there's an audience out there for decorative cards of this nature.  (Life would be very boring if everyone followed my tastes alone!)

So far, you're really showing just two cards in each of five designs, and at a decidedly low resolution with that photo - it feels like I'm looking at the art from a meter or more away so there's practically no details.  That's not a lot to go on, really.  Bring larger images of just the art - not on the wood but either on paper or digital, in a clear, large format - and more of it for each design.  A new topic for each design might also be a good idea, so we're not getting them all mixed up together.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:05:17 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hello once again PCF!
Wooden cards design is in progress, so i want to show you couple of face cards, one pip and back side of diamonds set.
I would like to hear all thoughts and feedback about these examples.
Thank You very much!

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Well, you haven't really answered the questions that I asked previously.  Are you really seeking feedback, or just trying to advertise your products?

Lose the words "Blessed Bastards" from the card back.  Yes, it's your "name," but it clashes with the design, which otherwise is very attractive and simple (simple is good).  Rarely does one see words on the back of a deck of cards.

Are you still insisting on making this deck out of wood?  I'm forced to ask why.  Sure, there's a novelty factor, but if your design is good enough - and it's shaping up nicely enough - why must you make the cards practically unplayable?  I've seen one other deck project on Kickstarter make wooden playing cards, and in multiple deck designs.  That was a over three years ago, and they've been silent ever since.  It might have something to do with the pricing - it was $50 for a single deck of 52 cards suitable for poker.  I was for the design, and even appear in the project's main page - but that was before pricing was worked out.  Plus the cards are rather thick - I was give a sampling of a small number of cards, not a full deck, to test, and that's what I based my comments on.  But for practicality as well as salability, plastic is more affordable and paper is downright cheap in comparison.  Simply put, wood isn't the idea medium for practical, functional playing cards.  Can it be done?  Sure - it already has been done.  Is it practical?  Not really, not when compared to the versatility of a paper deck.

(I just checked their website, bibelotgames.com.  They still sell wooden cards - $69 for a poker deck and $149 for a tarot deck.  No offers for pinochle decks, piquet decks, euchre decks, etc., like they offered on Kickstarter - they were cheaper because they had fewer cards, but are more limited in usefulness.)

You should consider answering these questions.  They're the exact same questions your potential backers will be asking you when you launch this on Kickstarter or some other crowdfunding site - and backers that don't get answer to their questions tend not to stay backers for long.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 05:48:49 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:29 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks for you quick answer Don!
This project is in starting point, and all feedback and comments are so precious!
I posted samples in Desing & Dev. section seeking for your thoughts about cards style and artwork.
I want to make unique and stylish line art design, suitable for comfortable playing and good visual impact.
If design is ok, it will be adapted for printing on paper, not only for laser etching or other one color, line friendly printing method. 

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:34:09 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I like the design of the courts so far...would definitely like to see more...

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:48:56 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks, Cardfool!
Work in progress!
I'll post other examples, when they will be ready.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Please, take a look and share some thoughts about rest of the Kings.
Every feedback is very welcome.
Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The general design concept looks good.  It's a modern design, to be sure.

Are you planning to stick to court design conventions for the International standard?  Such as which cards are one-eyed, which cards have which weapons, etc.?  The King of Diamonds traditionally has an axe these days - hence the nickname among poker players, "the Man with the Axe."  Historically speaking, though, it used to be the King of Hearts that held the axe, rather than the sword being raised behind his head, making him look as though he's stabbing himself, hence the nickname, "the Suicide King."  You have the modern King of Hearts matched to conform, but not the King of Diamonds.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »

BlueToy

• Facebook:
I think the line art alone (regardless of it being printed on wood) is great. My issue ( and a small one at that) is regarding consistency. The King of Diamonds' central suit is placed on a "shield" with the same shape as its suit - while all the other kings' aren't. But that's just me nitpicking. Beautiful design overall - it catches the eye even without colors.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks, BlueToy!
Don, design would be in International standard rules. Only slight changes in basic elements, as you see.
Here is "9" pips for your feedback.
Thanks!

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:53 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks for your insights about main court cards elements in international standard.
Corrections are made.
Please, take a look and say what you think!
Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Overall, you have an interesting design.  You could make this a paper deck project instead, and make wooden cards as an "add-on" to the paper deck project.  This would look very cool if you used red line work for the red cards.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hello Don, we are getting back to our started wooden cards project. We are thinking of producing 24 card decks for reviewers with leather cases. But we are not 100% shure is it a good idea, or we need to start with the full deck of 54 cards. We want to get as much feedback as it possible. About overall design, size, feel and usability for normal card play or some card tricks. All ideas and thoughts are very welcome!

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »

shimmering

Just wondering what the thickness is of the wood you are using. Also, 2-ply, 3-ply, or what? Looks interesting.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »

blessed bastards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Thanks! We use 2ply 450 micron real wood veneer. It works fine!

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:35 PM »

shimmering

I see. That really is thin! Well good luck with the project!

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 04:26:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello Don, we are getting back to our started wooden cards project. We are thinking of producing 24 card decks for reviewers with leather cases. But we are not 100% shure is it a good idea, or we need to start with the full deck of 54 cards. We want to get as much feedback as it possible. About overall design, size, feel and usability for normal card play or some card tricks. All ideas and thoughts are very welcome!

Well, the biggest thing you should work on right away is a slight tweaking of the pip designs.  Your spades and clubs are rather similar to each other and could easily be confused with each other in play.  Of course, that assumes you're going for a playable design - more on that below...

It's not a bad idea to produce a few decks for reviewers to look at, but they're going to want to see at the least a good sampling - in this case, all the court cards, the aces, the unique jokers (just one if they're identical) and at least one or two examples of the spot cards in different patterns.  Pick and choose reviewers carefully, as I imagine making these sample decks would cost you a few bucks and you're not going to make a lot of them.

Generally speaking, it's going to be price and practicality that will make or break this project.  If you position them as playable, they really need to be playable and affordable.  If you position them as little works of art, you'll be able to sell them as such, even at a higher price point, but you won't sell as many full decks because of the cost - though this does open the window for you to make smaller sets or even individual cards for sale at premium prices as decorative pieces.  It will increase the complexity of the operation a bit, but you're a lot likelier to sell more cards overall and at higher price points than if you tried selling complete decks.  If you go the route of selling them as decorative pieces, you could even offer them laminated - they'd make for great coasters, and with the right heat-resistant coating on them, perhaps even trivets for holding pots.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I think the cards look really cute in the sand - it almost looks like the kind of beach sand that squeaks when you walk on it ... :)

Best of luck with the project, exciting to see you moving forward!