Wild West Decks - Lawman and Outlaw Decks

Author (Read 14311 times)

Wild West Decks - Lawman and Outlaw Decks
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to give everyone a sneak peek into the next project Gonzo and I are working on.  The next project is inspired by the Wild West!
There is going to be 2 decks the Lawman Deck and the Outlaw Deck.  Each deck will have different court cards and different backs.  Lawman Deck will have famous lawman of the wild west and the outlaw deck will have famous outlaws. 

Here is the card we are working on for the Lawman Deck, King of Spades - Wyatt Earp. This is the first version, card could be modified.  I just wanted to share with everyone what we are working on.  Gonzo is hand drawing the court cards now and then we will be working on the illustrations.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:56:18 AM by Jamm Pakd Cards »
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

Re: Wild West Decks - Lawman and Outlaw Decks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
IMHO:

- don't like the combination of big Spades pips and revolvers. Try to substitute the name of this hero with some Spades big pip.
- the name can be under small spades pips (indices) - upright.
- try to remove the frame at all.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,  We are back to the Wild West Decks! 
There will be two different decks in this project.  The Lawman Deck will have lawmen and women from the Wild West as the face cards.  The Outlaw deck will have the Outlaws of the Wild West.  Each Deck will be different, different backs, colors, tuck boxes and of course face cards.  With this project I am also going to have poker chips, cases and a coin.  I have been interested in the wild west since I was little.  Living in Arizona I have been fortunate to have been surrounded by elements from the wild west my whole life.   I remember going to Tombstone as a child to watch the Wild West Shows in Old Tucson.
More information to come as Gonzo and I complete the cards.  All cards are hand drawn and then illustrated.  Wyatt Earp is our 1st card in the Lawman Deck.  Deck arriving on Kickstarter in Early 2016.   
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone, 

We made some changes from the 1st pic,  We took some suggestions and moved the spade over which I think makes a big difference.  Here is the updated version. 

Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone, 

We made some changes from the 1st pic,  We took some suggestions and moved the spade over which I think makes a big difference.  Here is the updated version.

What if you put the spade on the right of the head instead of the left, slightly reduced the size of the lettering in Earp's name and placed that between the pistol barrel and the index?  Having the gun AND the spade on the same side seems cluttered.  Also try a lighter shade for the font - that will help to reduce the look of clutter.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Don,  Thanks for the suggestions, I will check that out and see how it looks, 

Thanks!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »

Sarah F

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
What a fun theme and the art looks great!

In the classic deck, the King of Spades faces right, I think if you just flipped your king, you won't have any more issues with the revolver blocking the pip. And I do like the larger pip on the card, personally. Just adjust the text around his revolver as Don suggested, too.

Good luck!
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I love the illustration style, and the palate looks great! I would recommend removing the name entirely, it makes the card look gimmicky, use the add card to list who each royal card is akin to how Jackson Robinson has and I think you will clean the design up a lot and open your deck up to people who are more hesitant to pick up a novelty deck
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:18:53 AM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:05:17 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
What a fun theme and the art looks great!

In the classic deck, the King of Spades faces right, I think if you just flipped your king, you won't have any more issues with the revolver blocking the pip. And I do like the larger pip on the card, personally. Just adjust the text around his revolver as Don suggested, too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, Yes that might work out great.  Glad you like the direction we are going.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I love the illustration style, and the palate looks great! I would recommend removing the name entirely, it makes the card look gimmicky, use the add card to list who each royal card is akin to how Jackson Robinson has and I think you will clean the design up a lot and open your deck up to people who are more hesitant to pick up a novelty deck

Thanks Justin for the suggestions, I really appreciate all of the suggestions.  We will test out some different options.  Thanks again, glad you like the style!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone!  Here are some sketches for the Back of the Outlaw Deck.  I wanted to have some key elements on the back of the card but there are some different ways we thought of how the layout could go.  Keep in mind these are just sketches :)  Let me know which one out of the three you like best!

Thanks,
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:37:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone!  Here are some sketches for the Back of the Outlaw Deck.  I wanted to have some key elements on the back of the card but there are some different ways we thought of how the layout could go.  Keep in mind these are just sketches :)  Let me know which one out of the three you like best!

Thanks,

My thoughts: take the third design, but make the guns smaller and with longer barrels.  The "six-shooter" cylinder will more clearly dominate the center space and the barrels will form a more perfect diamond shape around it.  Maybe fill in the negative space between the barrels and the cylinder with black and make the barrels and cylinder in either metallic silver ink or silver foil.  THAT would look mighty impressive.

Do a little research on the engraving work found on the flashier examples of classic "Wild West" era guns and use that as the model not just for what's on your guns but also for what you're using in the background.

You could use the same overall design for the Outlaw and Lawman decks - just take the bandana off the Outlaw and put a sheriff's star on the ten-gallon hat to make the Lawman design - with a suitable change in background color to make the decks very easy to tell apart, naturally.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I really like Don's suggestions. I would only add the hat band looks more like it belongs on a Fedora not a Western hat.
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »

Paul Ruccio

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I really like the illustration style of the faces and the third back design. However, I'd almost like to see a Wild West town inspiration or landscape as the background of the back design. Will the back design sketches have the same illustration style and feel as the faces?
Paul Ruccio
Jetsetter Playing Cards
www.jetsetterplayingcards.com
- - - - -
High-class products and playing cards for the aviation, travel, and playing card enthusiasts around the globe.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Looking good :)
The illustration (KoS) has a fresh and clean look with plenty of character. With the back, I agree that the 3rd one is looking best - Don's advice to make the guns smaller while lengthening the chambers sounds good and I also like Paul's idea of the Wild West inspired landscape ... Perhaps a mountain scape, where simple lines would put more focus on the detail in the foreground ... :)

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 01:26:34 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Thanks,

My thoughts: take the third design, but make the guns smaller and with longer barrels.  The "six-shooter" cylinder will more clearly dominate the center space and the barrels will form a more perfect diamond shape around it.  Maybe fill in the negative space between the barrels and the cylinder with black and make the barrels and cylinder in either metallic silver ink or silver foil.  THAT would look mighty impressive.

Do a little research on the engraving work found on the flashier examples of classic "Wild West" era guns and use that as the model not just for what's on your guns but also for what you're using in the background.

You could use the same overall design for the Outlaw and Lawman decks - just take the bandana off the Outlaw and put a sheriff's star on the ten-gallon hat to make the Lawman design - with a suitable change in background color to make the decks very easy to tell apart, naturally.

Hey Don thanks for the tips.  Good tips about the guns.  You read my mind on the engraving, that is my idea for the engraving on the back.  Since this is just a sketch we did not go into detail on the engraving.  I am thinking of having the card mainly silver and black.  I have sketched up a different back for the lawman deck.  Working on a couple of ideas I have.  Thinking of having a badge as the main focus point on the lawman deck.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I really like the illustration style of the faces and the third back design. However, I'd almost like to see a Wild West town inspiration or landscape as the background of the back design. Will the back design sketches have the same illustration style and feel as the faces?

Hey thanks Paul,Yes back will have the same illustration style as the faces, we will tie everything in together.  This was just some sketches for placement and idea before we get the final draft going. 
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 01:29:25 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Looking good :)
The illustration (KoS) has a fresh and clean look with plenty of character. With the back, I agree that the 3rd one is looking best - Don's advice to make the guns smaller while lengthening the chambers sounds good and I also like Paul's idea of the Wild West inspired landscape ... Perhaps a mountain scape, where simple lines would put more focus on the detail in the foreground ... :)

Thanks for the feedback!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 01:30:12 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I really like Don's suggestions. I would only add the hat band looks more like it belongs on a Fedora not a Western hat.

Thanks for the feedback, glad everyone is liking the backs.  Seems like the 3rd design is standing out.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone, So I have the illustrated art for the Outlaw deck. I decided to go with the third one. Here are a couple of color options, still working on which colors to use. I would like to use like a black and silverish color. Maybe put in metallic silver (maybe stretch goal of metallic ink or foil) , still not sure yet.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 12:54:19 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Nice update :) I like the first one the most - even though it is darker 'all over' the design flows nicely and all the elements feel like they belong together :)

cheers a. :)

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Nice update :) I like the first one the most - even though it is darker 'all over' the design flows nicely and all the elements feel like they belong together :)

cheers a. :)
Thanks, That is the one I am leaning towards as well, maybe use metallic ink as a stretch goal for the silver/grayish color.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hey Everyone,  Here is the Lawman Deck Back.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 06:26:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Looks good, but I think it would look better without the words in the center.  Just repeat the six-pointed star motif in the middle of the badge, or make some other symmetrical design.  Card backs often look better without words in them; despite the idea of having a "label" of some kind in the middle of the star, I think it works better in this case without it.  It you really feel it necessary to have words, leave out the "USA" and replace "Lawman" with "Marshall" or "Sheriff" and it will look more like a traditional badge of the era while remaining symmetrical.  There's something about that "USA" that doesn't work with the design - the letters seem too modern in appearance.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

Looks good, but I think it would look better without the words in the center.  Just repeat the six-pointed star motif in the middle of the badge, or make some other symmetrical design.  Card backs often look better without words in them; despite the idea of having a "label" of some kind in the middle of the star, I think it works better in this case without it.  It you really feel it necessary to have words, leave out the "USA" and replace "Lawman" with "Marshall" or "Sheriff" and it will look more like a traditional badge of the era while remaining symmetrical.  There's something about that "USA" that doesn't work with the design - the letters seem too modern in appearance.

Thanks Don, Great advice as always.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards