Welcome to the 2014 PCF Deck Awards

Author (Read 5187 times)

Welcome to the 2014 PCF Deck Awards
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
You do realize we need a catchier name for them, right?  :))

Rose will be moderating this TEMPORARY board, setting up topics for people to make nominations - each topic is a different category for the awards.  You nominate, someone else seconds it, and that deck will be in the running when the voting starts on New Year's Day.

In addition to the individual category requirements, each deck has to be a "2014 release", defined as a deck that was either distributed to backers or made available for sale during 2014.  If a 2013 Kickstarter project didn't distribute until 2014, it's a 2014 deck.  If a KS is still live now or recently ended and doesn't deliver before the end of 31 December of this year, it doesn't qualify.

The board is modified so that only staff and Ambassadors can create topics.  If you want to suggest a new award category, this is the place to do it!  We'll take it into consideration, but please understand we can't include EVERY category.

Nominations begin: NOW
Nominations end: midnight Eastern Time on New Year's Eve (01 Jan 2015 05:00 UTC) 02 January (02 Jan 2015 at 05:00 UTC).
Voting begins: when I add the polls to the topics shortly after nominations end.
Voting ends: 15 January 2015 at midnight Eastern (16 Jan 2015 05:00 UTC)

Results will NOT be visible until after the polls close!

Cheers and have fun!
Don

EDIT: check out this post for a slight amendment to the competition criteria.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:37:30 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: Welcome to the 2014 PCF Deck Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Welcome everyone to the Playing Card Forum Award 2014 Nominations! I am so excited to start this!!! :D
This is to honor greatness in playing card designs, as you are the experts for everything playing cards I am seeking your wisdom to Nominate the greatest Decks of 2014.

The categories are:

BEST DESIGNS
Best Design Overall Deck *
Best Art Deck *
Best Crowd funded Campaign Deck *
Best Deck Not Financed by Crowdfunding*
Best New designer*
Best Designer of a 2014 Deck
Best Collectors' Deck
Best Deck Series Overall
Best Brick/Half-Brick Box*
Best Presentation Box
Best Deck accessory*
Best Producer

VIDEO AND PHOTO
Best Video in an Advertisement or Crowdfunding Campaign
Best Photo in an Advertisement or Crowdfunding Campaign

MAGICAL CARDS
Best Magicans Deck
Best Cardistry Deck*
Best Reveal card*
Best marked deck*

PRINTERS
Best Deck Printer
Best Bicycle(TM)-Branded Deck*
Best USPC-Produced Deck
Best Deck Printed by EPCC
Best Deck Printed by LPCC

CARDS
Best Back Design*
Best Face Design*
Best Jokers*
Best Court Cards
Bests Custom Pips
Best Un-cut sheet*

TUCK BOXES
Best Tuck Box*
Best Tuck Box Printer
Best Design inside a Tuck Box

There is a lot of categories so if there are less than 2 nominations for a category it will be removed.
Please nominate the best in each category you think is important! Thank you for joining the fun!
*Posted Awards
I will make a new topic for each award, then the nominations can begin!
I will return soon with more information, if you have any questions at all message me!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:19:55 AM by Rose »

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The categories Rose presented will all be made into individual topics - please make your nominations THERE, not HERE!

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I did read your rules Don.

My nominations are based on the following timeframe for eligibility. I can and will change them if you disagree.

1. Funded decks should be eligible by date funded. Empire Bloodlines was funded 2014, they should be eligible. They feel like a 2014 deck to me. I paid for them in 2014 and probably will be copyright licensed 2014.

2. Non-funded decks are eligible by release date.

I hope this is OK Don? I think this works for everyone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:24:04 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

My nominations are based on the following timeframe for eligibility. I can and will change them if you disagree.

1. Funded decks should be eligible by date funded. Empire Bloodlines was funded 2014, they should be eligible. They feel like a 2014 deck to me. I paid for them in 2014 and probably will be copyright licensed 2014.

I'm sorry, but that's applying two different standards where there should only be one.  Based on your suggestion, the Founders deck, Bicycle Army Men deck and Bicycle Asylum deck would be eligible for the years in which their campaigns ended - despite the fact that no decks were ever delivered or even made.

Empire Bloodlines might "feel" like a 2014 deck to you, but unless you can "feel" it in your little fingers, it's not even a deck yet!  I have no doubt it will be delivered - but if that doesn't occur until 2015, then no, it's not a 2014 deck.

If a Hollywood movie is shot, edited and completed in 2014 but doesn't hit theaters until 2015, it's eligible for a 2015 Academy Award, not 2014.  Why?  There's a chance that the movie's release date will be changed or even canceled.  Roger Corman shot an entire film that got shelved and never saw the dark of a movie theater - he used to hold the license for Marvel's "Fantastic Four" franchise.  So he might have made a movie that the studio decided was unreleasable, but if it was reconsidered and released in theaters today, it would be eligible for a 2014 Academy Award, despite it pre-dating the released version by several years.

Please update your nominations to reflect this.

Speaking of nominations, a person can make a single nomination for each category.  We're not picking the best two, best three, etc. - we're picking the best, period.  So just as you can't vote in a US-government election twice, you can't nominate more than one deck.  Nominate only the BEST deck, as you see it.

Remember that nominations have to be SECONDED - someone else has to come and say "I second that nomination" so we don't have orphan decks up there that only one person actually likes.  The only requirement for seconding is that the person seconding can't be the person who made the nomination - and you can second more than one deck.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:15:22 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:38:48 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Best deck accessory is not up yet, but i just wanna make sure.

By deck accessory, does it mean anything that is deck related or can hold a deck? Would a leather pouch or a customized box count?

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Will there be a category for best Card guard/Dealer button/Coin?
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Wouldn't card guard fall under card accessory? For me, dealer button and coin seems a little pushing it. Then we will go into dices and prints and all that kind of stuff.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

I'm sorry, but that's applying two different standards where there should only be one.  Based on your suggestion, the Founders deck, Bicycle Army Men deck and Bicycle Asylum deck would be eligible for the years in which their campaigns ended - despite the fact that no decks were ever delivered or even made.

Empire Bloodlines might "feel" like a 2014 deck to you, but unless you can "feel" it in your little fingers, it's not even a deck yet!  I have no doubt it will be delivered - but if that doesn't occur until 2015, then no, it's not a 2014 deck.

If a Hollywood movie is shot, edited and completed in 2014 but doesn't hit theaters until 2015, it's eligible for a 2015 Academy Award, not 2014.  Why?  There's a chance that the movie's release date will be changed or even canceled.  Roger Corman shot an entire film that got shelved and never saw the dark of a movie theater - he used to hold the license for Marvel's "Fantastic Four" franchise.  So he might have made a movie that the studio decided was unreleasable, but if it was reconsidered and released in theaters today, it would be eligible for a 2014 Academy Award, despite it pre-dating the released version by several years.

Please update your nominations to reflect this.

Speaking of nominations, a person can make a single nomination for each category.  We're not picking the best two, best three, etc. - we're picking the best, period.  So just as you can't vote in a US-government election twice, you can't nominate more than one deck.  Nominate only the BEST deck, as you see it.

Remember that nominations have to be SECONDED - someone else has to come and say "I second that nomination" so we don't have orphan decks up there that only one person actually likes.  The only requirement for seconding is that the person seconding can't be the person who made the nomination - and you can second more than one deck.

My posts have been updated.

I do have to say, its nomination processes like this that deter people from wanting to participate. Its unpleasant going through all the posts and having to figure out who to nominate a first or second, and we are only getting started.

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Its unpleasant going through all the posts and having to figure out who to nominate a first or second, and we are only getting started.

It shouldn't be complicated or unpleasant. Just pick one you like and nominate it. You don't have to figure out what is a first or a second nomination. Just nominate a single entry for each topic.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 02:34:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Best deck accessory is not up yet, but i just wanna make sure.

By deck accessory, does it mean anything that is deck related or can hold a deck? Would a leather pouch or a customized box count?

"Accessory" will be defined for these purposes as any device, token, garment, etc. that is either:
- Designed for playing cards and meant for use with playing cards, or
- Bears logos or other unique artwork from either a card company's trademarks or from the design of a specific deck.

If they are decorated in a deck-specific or company-specific manner, they have to have been made or authorized by the deck's producer or the company president, respectively.  And of course, they have to have been released in 2014 - not earlier, not later.

Its unpleasant going through all the posts and having to figure out who to nominate a first or second, and we are only getting started.

It shouldn't be complicated or unpleasant. Just pick one you like and nominate it. You don't have to figure out what is a first or a second nomination. Just nominate a single entry for each topic.

Justin, I think he's referring to the fact that all nominations have to be seconded by someone before they will be officially entered.

The reasoning is simple.  If you have a particular deck that you're absolutely head over heels for but you're the only person alive and on this board who thinks so, then your nomination won't be seconded and your choice will be left out, since there's only one person who actually likes it for whatever award you entered it for.  It will streamline the voting process a bit to leave out such "orphan" nominations.

Seconding is simple.  Someone nominated a deck and you think it's a worthy competitor for the title.  Say, "I second deck Blahblahblah" and BAM!  It's in, just like Emeril - you kicked it up a notch!  You can only nominate a single deck, but you can second as many of them as you wish.  You could go around into all the categories and second every single nomination - I wouldn't necessarily appreciate it as it would defeat the purpose of seconding, but it would be legit.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:36:15 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Being nominated is as important to the process as being voted the winner. Take the category of back design for example. I think Tycoons is worthy of being nominated. Problem is no one had nominated Gatorbacks and I can only pick one. Will someone nominate or second either? Both could very well not be nominated at all, because of those who are turned off by the process.

Second... There are a few decks that I did not buy. Those decks had parts that were very good and parts that made me not buy them. However, in the funded decks area, I have no clue if some of those decks were ever shipped. I'd still consider nominating some, but can't. Only those that bought them or remember reading about them being delivered would know.

I think if your going to do this the right way, you need to make it easier. Create a list of eligible decks that can be nominated. Allow people to pick more then one, maybe two selections per category. Even with allowing two selections, that odd ball nomination falls off. We need to cover the deserving decks, despite those who don't participate. I don't see that about to happen here. We have time... but I just don't see the regulars getting "ALL" the deserving  nominations in. Some will be forgotten, some will get left off simply because we assumed it was in already. It's a very unstable and frustrating processes to me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:21:42 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Being nominated is as important to the process as being voted the winner. Take the category of back design for example. I think Tycoons is worthy of being nominated. Problem is no one had nominated Gatorbacks and I can only pick one. Will someone nominate or second either? Both could very well not be nominated at all, because of those who are turned off by the process.

Second... There are a few decks that I did not buy. Those decks had parts that were very good and parts that made me not buy them. However, in the funded decks area, I have no clue if some of those decks were ever shipped. I'd still consider nominating some, but can't. Only those that bought them or remember reading about them being delivered would know.

I think if your going to do this the right way, you need to make it easier. Create a list of eligible decks that can be nominated. Allow people to pick more then one, maybe two selections per category. Even with allowing two selections, that odd ball nomination falls off. We need to cover the deserving decks, despite those who don't participate. I don't see that about to happen here. We have time... but I just don't see the regulars getting "ALL" the deserving  nominations in. Some will be forgotten, some will get left off simply because we assumed it was in already. It's a very unstable and frustrating processes to me.

OK, here's a thought that may make the process simpler.  I will chart all decks nominated and seconded in the first post of the award topics.  I'm checking nightly anyway for the 100,000th post contest and nominations are coming in at a slow but steady pace, it seems.

Eligibility is simple - distributed in 2014, period.  For commercially-made decks, this means "available for purchase" and pre-orders don't count - it has to be in stock and shippable.  For crowdfunded project decks, this means either "available for purchase" (it is often the case that retailers get the decks before backers; pre-orders still do not apply) or received by backers - even if it's just one backer.

If you have doubts about when a deck was released, often checking the deck's topic will help, as will checking the updates and comments on the project page, FB page, etc.

If you're concerned about your TWO favorite decks not getting nominated, post about it.  Ask someone to nominate one of them so you can nominate the other.  It's nearly 57 days until the nominating process ends - start now and I really doubt you'll have a problem finding someone who agrees about the greatness of one of the decks and is willing to assist you in time.

In my personal opinion, if you like one better than the other, wouldn't you want to promote that one over the other one?  You could end up ruining the chances for your favorite deck to win.  It's a bit like campaigning for two different candidates vying for the same elected office...  But again, that is simply my personal opinion, not any statement of fact.

If this does not work for you, please let me know right here and I'll see what else can be done to make the process more enjoyable.  If you're seeking a major change in the competition's structure, it would help to know you're not the only one dissatisfied by having others post who agree with you.

I've said it before, this is YOUR board (the collective you, not just Card Player).  Without you, this place wouldn't exist, let alone thrive as it has.  I serve here because the people here appreciate my presence - if I was nearly universally hated, there's no way I'd still be holding any staff position; it would be bad for the forum and I'd be removed.  (Actually, I'd probably resign before it went that far.)  So I'm really only a guest here, as are the rest of us (except for the board owner, of course).  I do my level-headed best most of the time to be a fair and reasonable person and to make the members here want to return, over and over.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:34:07 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 03:04:28 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I think the Best Uncut doesn't really deserve its own reward -- there's nothing that really distinguishes a deck of cards when it is uncut.

I think that a cool additional reward would be for best ad cards. That would allow a great competition between Jackson for Independence and Uusi for Pagan or Hotcakes.

/bama

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 03:17:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I think the Best Uncut doesn't really deserve its own reward -- there's nothing that really distinguishes a deck of cards when it is uncut.

I think that a cool additional reward would be for best ad cards. That would allow a great competition between Jackson for Independence and Uusi for Pagan or Hotcakes.

/bama

I would disagree with the assessment of the uncut sheets.  They're not all "generic" in how they're laid out.  Some use a useful deck stack arrangement and I've seen one where the designer intentionally placed his courts and aces in the center of the sheet for more aesthetic appeal when looking at the uncut.

The ad card suggestion is excellent.  Rose, could I trouble you to make a new topic for that with a new logo image to match?

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran
I really like what you guys are doing here with the PCF awards and how you are doing it.
At the risk of sounding ever the pessimist, which I am not, I would like to see the other side of the coin.  Think of it as the "Razzies" for playing cards.  Worst kickstarter campaign  etc. etc. (Maybe something like "least favorite" instead of "worst" to be more PC) Just a thought.
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I really like what you guys are doing here with the PCF awards and how you are doing it.
At the risk of sounding ever the pessimist, which I am not, I would like to see the other side of the coin.  Think of it as the "Razzies" for playing cards.  Worst kickstarter campaign  etc. etc. (Maybe something like "least favorite" instead of "worst" to be more PC) Just a thought.

We used to do something like that, but in more recent years we've had a whole lot of designers showing up on the boards and playing an active role.  How pleased and comfortable would you feel if your design that you poured out your heart to make won a "Worst of" or "Least Favorite" award category?  It's a bit mean-spirited, so in the interests of making everyone feel at home and welcome here, we dropped any negative rewards we may have once had and decided to not employ them going forward.

There is also the fact that these days, it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel - that's cruelty to animals!  (Just kidding!)

To find the best, one might use a fine brush and a magnifier; to find the worst, one only needs the naked eye and a push-broom.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

We used to do something like that, but in more recent years we've had a whole lot of designers showing up on the boards and playing an active role.  How pleased and comfortable would you feel if your design that you poured out your heart to make won a "Worst of" or "Least Favorite" award category?  It's a bit mean-spirited, so in the interests of making everyone feel at home and welcome here, we dropped any negative rewards we may have once had and decided to not employ them going forward.

There is also the fact that these days, it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel - that's cruelty to animals!  (Just kidding!)

To find the best, one might use a fine brush and a magnifier; to find the worst, one only needs the naked eye and a push-broom.

Yes, this was brought up before last years awards. Myself and many others agreed we should keep it positive. I think Jackson Robinson said it best.
Keep it positive, having the worst seems unprofessional IMO. We already run people through the ringer anyways no reason to publicly give them an award for it.

Basically, We scrutinize people's projects all year long. Bad or good, people do work hard on their designs. We don't want to discourage people from trying by publicly verifying they are the worst and humiliating them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:09:15 PM by Card Player »

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm going to change things just a little bit.

First, I will close the nominations on midnight the morning of January 2ND, not 1ST, Eastern Standard Time (05:00 2 Jan 2015 UTC).  The requirement is still a release before 1/1/2015, but this gives last-minute releases a chance to be nominated.  Voting will begin right after nominations end as each topic is edited to have a poll and the polling will still end at midnight on the morning of 15 January (05:00 15 Jan 2015 UTC).

Second, regarding the actual nominations themselves.  If a deck is scheduled to release in 2014, but hasn't released yet, you may nominate it, but it will be added to the list with a notation (if available by 1/1/2015).  The tag will be removed when the deck is available, as defined previously.  If the deck doesn't ship on schedule and comes out in 2015, there's always next year - it won't be eligible and won't be in the polls.

If a deck is NOT scheduled to ship before 2015, it may not be nominated UNLESS by some stroke of good fortune the deck is released in 2014, ahead of schedule.

If there's some change you'd like considered to any of the criteria, please post it here.

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 03:46:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A reminder to everyone - there's less than 70 hours remaining before the end of the year.  Nominations must be seconded to be eligible!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:04:08 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The year ends in under 47 hours!  The nominations CLOSE in 24 hours after that!  Get nominating AND seconding if you want your deck choices to be heard!

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 01:01:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Guys AND girls!  NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OVER.  We already have a few award winners by default, and a few awards will not be given this year.  For the rest, polls are open and are set to automatic timers to end 14 days after they started.

Our Winners So Far
Best Brick/Half-Brick Box: Hotcakes by Uusi
Best Reveal Card: Aquila by Ade Suryana/Kardify

Awards with No Seconded Nominees
Best Custom Courts
Best Custom Pips
Best Uncut Sheet
Best Deck Display Equipment

A LATE CORRECTION: Boardwalk Papers was also nominated and seconded in the Brick/Half-Brick category - I apologize for the oversight.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:44:06 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Guys AND girls!  NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OVER.  We already have a few award winners by default, and a few awards will not be given this year.  For the rest, polls are open and are set to automatic timers to end 14 days after they started.

Our Winners So Far

Boardwalk Papers brick box was nominated and seconded. No poll = no vote, I don't see how Hotcakes can win with it's competition not being up for vote.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 02:42:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Our Winners So Far

Boardwalk Papers brick box was nominated and seconded. No poll = no vote, I don't see how Hotcakes can win with it's competition not being up for vote.

You are absolutely right.  I missed it and no one else spotted it beforehand.  Thanks for spotting that!

Voting in that award category is now open and will remain so until about 2:39am on 16 January, Eastern Standard Time, 07:39 same date UTC.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 06:21:06 AM »

Stockholm17

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
  • Quality Over Quantity

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi all, just saw the email :)
thank you for this playing cards award initiative

looks like I have 2 nominations :D
cheers
Lorenzo

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 06:39:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi all, just saw the email :)
thank you for this playing cards award initiative

looks like I have 2 nominations :D
cheers
Lorenzo

Good luck to you and the rest of the nominees!

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A reminder to all the members of the board - there's about 26 hours remaining on most of the polls.

Get your vote in now, vote for your favorite decks and designers!  You snooze, you lose!