You are Here:
How did you find PlayingCardForum?

Author (Read 75628 times)

Re: How did you find PlayingCardForum?
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »

MikeD

• Newcomer
I used google and found 52+Joker and made it here.

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »

Miss G

• Newcomer
Hello. I've been researching my late father's passion after he left me his rather large collection of playing cards. He was a very enthusiastic collector and was known as a card producer himself. His name was Karl Gerich and I'm sure some of you know his work? I would love to know more about the subject if anyone has anything they think would help me and my sister learn more about his interest in playing cards. Thanks

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello. I've been researching my late father's passion after he left me his rather large collection of playing cards. He was a very enthusiastic collector and was known as a card producer himself. His name was Karl Gerich and I'm sure some of you know his work? I would love to know more about the subject if anyone has anything they think would help me and my sister learn more about his interest in playing cards. Thanks

Was your father a member of 52 Plus Joker?  It's a club based in North America that unites playing card collectors of all stripes.  It has a membership worldwide and owns and runs this forum.

I wasn't aware of your father's work until I just looked it up now.  He did some incredible artwork, really lovely cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

Miss G

• Newcomer
Hi. No he wasn't a member as far as I am aware. He was a member of the EPCS and when his health was OK went to their meetings occasionally. He stopped producing cards in the nineties due to poor mental health but still collected vintage decks. He wasn't very internet aware so no forums or things like that which is a shame I think he would have loved it!

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi. No he wasn't a member as far as I am aware. He was a member of the EPCS and when his health was OK went to their meetings occasionally. He stopped producing cards in the nineties due to poor mental health but still collected vintage decks. He wasn't very internet aware so no forums or things like that which is a shame I think he would have loved it!

If you think the forum's great, you should see the 52 Plus Joker Club's annual convention!  This October, we're holding it in Erlanger, Kentucky, a suburb of Cincinnati.  The city's claim to fame in the playing card world is that it's the headquarters of the United States Playing Card Company (USPC), who have kindly agreed to offer attendees a factory tour - it's sure to be a major highlight of the convention weekend.

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Miss G

• Newcomer
Sounds great. Maybe I'll have to check it out one day

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

ginrummyqueen1960

• Newcomer
"Google" Searching for information on how to date decks of vintage Kem cards and their holders. My search lead me to a post by a member, dated 2014. Very informative. However I still had a couple more questions. By joining I am now able to contact the author and ask my questions. 

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
"Google" Searching for information on how to date decks of vintage Kem cards and their holders. My search lead me to a post by a member, dated 2014. Very informative. However I still had a couple more questions. By joining I am now able to contact the author and ask my questions.

Hey, welcome aboard.  If you have questions and I can help, let me know!

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:27 AM »

jul320

• Newcomer
  • Card collector based in Australia
Somehow stumbled upon it while looking for certain decks on google

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2017, 12:07:33 AM »

NotHereAnymore

• Newcomer
I'm at work, wearing my CF-18 Canada 150 shirt, when one of my coworkers says, "Love your shirt!" (He's a plane enthusiast.) I told him I bought it in Ottawa on July 1st (2017), at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum. I also told him I bought a nice deck of cards there as well, and that the deck had a different plane on each card. He said, "Cool." I told him I collect cards and that I have over 175 decks. He said, "I didn't know you collected playing cards." I said, yup! I then told him that I'm now looking to buy older decks. He then tells me about decks that were made during the war. The decks had plane identification symbols on them so that the guys could learn them and still have something to pass the time with. I thought that was really cool! So I did a Google search for them. I found many images, but one caught my eye and I clicked on the link to it's host website ... and I got this forum! LOL!

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2017, 06:48:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm at work, wearing my CF-18 Canada 150 shirt, when one of my coworkers says, "Love your shirt!" (He's a plane enthusiast.) I told him I bought it in Ottawa on July 1st (2017), at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum. I also told him I bought a nice deck of cards there as well, and that the deck had a different plane on each card. He said, "Cool." I told him I collect cards and that I have over 175 decks. He said, "I didn't know you collected playing cards." I said, yup! I then told him that I'm now looking to buy older decks. He then tells me about decks that were made during the war. The decks had plane identification symbols on them so that the guys could learn them and still have something to pass the time with. I thought that was really cool! So I did a Google search for them. I found many images, but one caught my eye and I clicked on the link to it's host website ... and I got this forum! LOL!

Interesting story!

The kind of deck you're thinking of is called a "spotter deck."  They were pretty common in World War II, less so going into the Korean War, and I don't think they were still making them by the time the Vietnam War was being fought.  They made them for ships at sea as well as for aircraft.  The basic idea was that with all these new recruits going off to war, playing cards were a common pastime that fit in a shirt pocket, ideal for someone on deployment, so why not make packs that educated them as well as entertained them?  You played with them often enough, you got to learn the silhouettes of the common enemy and Allied crafts without even thinking about it.

Welcome to the club!

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

ButtonsHT

• Newcomer
I had found club 808 through a friend and had ordered some decks. I’ve always been a fan of forums for learning and figured there had to be one based on cards. Did a google search and ended up here.

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2017, 01:00:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I had found club 808 through a friend and had ordered some decks. I’ve always been a fan of forums for learning and figured there had to be one based on cards. Did a google search and ended up here.

Glad you found us.  We're not the only forum out there for playing cards, but we're probably the largest, and the only official forum of 52 Plus Joker - North America's premier society of playing card collectors.  If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask.

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2017, 05:28:13 AM »

KuniPlayingCards

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I just googled for “Playing Cards Community” and found this forum on top of the list.
We are from London
KUNI is an educational playing cards for Kids and Adults alike.

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »

PipChick

• Newcomer
google - popped right up :D

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 06:29:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
google - popped right up :D

Yeah, it's all the playing card stuff we talk about...  Doesn't hurt that we have nearly 120,000 posts on the subject!

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2018, 03:00:02 AM »

Rodders

• Newcomer
Tell us how you found us!

Everyone that gives us information on how you got to this site will get +1 reputation (handed out within 24-48 hours).
Hi,did a general search for vintage playing cards forum,after approx 15 yrs of collecting Goodall & De la Rue,I decided as I’m now retired to sell/auction my collection,maybe to upgrade to rarer items.
Rodders.

« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »

Hopwood147

• Newcomer
I was researching USPC 1973 edition of Aristocrat 727 Playing Cards when I came across this forum on Google.
Thanks

Roy J Hopwood

"If you are not doing better you are not doing your best" - Oliver Cromwell

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2018, 02:02:31 AM »

Rodders

• Newcomer
Tell us how you found us!

Everyone that gives us information on how you got to this site will get +1 reputation (handed out within 24-48 hours).
Google search.

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »

Kevin186

• Newcomer
Google search for playing cards forum, this site was 1st on the list.

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »

Rodders

• Newcomer
Hi,I’m 65 and not very tech savvy,sometimes find forum’s difficult to navigate,it seems I need to complete certain criteria before doing what I wanted,which was make make people aware of the large collection of ‘De la Rue/Goodall full packs I collected over 15 yrs ago and now wish to move on,some suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Rod.

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hi,I’m 65 and not very tech savvy,sometimes find forum’s difficult to navigate,it seems I need to complete certain criteria before doing what I wanted,which was make make people aware of the large collection of ‘De la Rue/Goodall full packs I collected over 15 yrs ago and now wish to move on,some suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks,
Rod.

Hello, Rod,

We have an entire message board that's dedicated to vintage (at least 20 years old) and antique (at least ~100 years old) playing cards - it's called "A Cellar of Fine Vintages."  I'd recommend going to that message board, reading some of the posts people have created, and perhaps making a few of your own where appropriate.  You can also create original topics for things like deck discussion or showing off your collection.  We'd welcome hearing from you!

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »

Russ

• Newcomer
 I was looking for information on an old deck of playing cards, so I Googled "playing card forum", and fortunately found your group.

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2019, 01:12:52 AM »

redler

• Newcomer
Found it via a google search when researching on 'How to spot fake Bee cards'.  Sent me to a topic in PlayingCardForum...  Nice!

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Found it via a google search when researching on 'How to spot fake Bee cards'.  Sent me to a topic in PlayingCardForum...  Nice!

Excellent - thanks!