West coast ports deadline is here.

Author (Read 1028 times)

West coast ports deadline is here.
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:35:28 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Today is the deadline for the ports and the port workers to reach an agreement. Does anyone think this is going to happen or will they be headed to Washington? I guess that's a pretty good threat, "Get it together or you'll have to come be bored to death."

I really hope it does. The ships are stacked up like Legos.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: West coast ports deadline is here.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »

Talisman

Today is the deadline for the ports and the port workers to reach an agreement. Does anyone think this is going to happen or will they be headed to Washington? I guess that's a pretty good threat, "Get it together or you'll have to come be bored to death."

Hopefully so. The worst thing that could happen is that they lose their jobs and they get replaced like President Reagan did to the air traffic control personnel. I wouldn't think President Obama would go to that extreme though.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Hopefully so. The worst thing that could happen is that they lose their jobs and they get replaced like President Reagan did to the air traffic control personnel. I wouldn't think President Obama would go to that extreme though.

That kind of en masse replacement would be extremely difficult, especially when it comes to shipping unions.  Reagan pulled it off because the job still paid high enough that there were more people with the proper education level seeking employment than there were positions - and air traffic then wasn't anywhere near as severe as it is today.

But dock workers are among the strongest unions, for a variety of reasons.  I once lived in Florida, a "right-to-work" state where unions are prohibited from making contracts requiring all workers to be in the union.  Despite that, the Miami docks were still solidly union-organized - I can't think of another union in the state when I lived there ('89-'90) that wielded anywhere near that kind of power.  I have a job now that is unionized, here in New York - the same job in Florida is non-union, pays about half my salary and has practically no benefits whereas my union has a lot of benefits, some that people haven't even heard of.  (Example - my union has a law firm on retainer to help members, free of charge, with certain legal issues like minor arrests, property purchases, divorces, wills, etc.  I've NEVER seen another entry-level job have a benefit that even resembled that.)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »

Talisman

Don, I know what you mean about working in a job that is unionized and then doing that same job non-unionized in Texas, a "right to work" state. The working conditions was like night and day. I felt like a slave doing that job in Texas. I was a cable technician at the time for a major cable company in the NYC area which is unionized and transferred to Houston, Texas. You went home when your supervisor said it was time to head back to the shop. Doing that job when it gets dark can be really difficult to perform outside not to mention that you won't have happy customers when you arrive past a certain time. I don't think I'm allowed to discuss the company here so that is the most I will hint at that.

Back to the topic, at least the good news is that the West coast port workers finally reached an agreement and things will eventually get back to normal which is especially good news for all of us in the playing card world. No more long delays or rerouted ship routes to get fulfillment from EPCC/LPCC. Yay  :D

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
It is wonderful they FINALLY reached an agreement. This has been causing a global problem. Good things good things, I wish this hadn't had to take nine months. Many business have been hurt if it hadn't been the lower cost of fuel recently things would have been really bad.

The docks work like clockwork when they're working under normal conditions, it's really a very impressive operation. That congestion will be cleared up much sooner than news stations report.

:D :D :D :D :D
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »

Talisman

I'm sure there will be a lot of overtime to get things done which I know those dockworkers will be looking forward to.