Title: Second Form
Creator: Nick Vlow and Sergey Koller
Publisher: Shin Lim Presents
MSRP: $ 15
Skill Level: Intermediate
DVD Run time: 54 minutes

Type of effect: DVD of sleights and effects

Manufacturer's Write Up:

Second form is a collection of 15 modern thoughts in card magic focused on visual and practical applications. Here you will find completely new ideas and reassembled classical moves for your performances. Nick Vlow & Sergey Koller go into great detail on the moves and motivation surrounding these new applications.

How accurate is the ad copy? these are not "new" but actually variations of what is already out there. Nor do they go into "great detail" on teaching, most of it is done very quickly.

What's in the box? DVD only

Key points: This DVD is entirely amateur. It looks like the DVD was made over time using different cameras, webcams and cell phones. I think the DVD itself was made using DVD Flick (which is a free internet program) Also the subtitles have spelling errors.

How are the production values: The performances and explanations are all shot without audio instruction. Everything is done as on screen text. The music is generic techno/house with electric guitar with no fade ins or outs.

You do get a base "explanation" shot which is over the shoulder with a card mat. But most of the time you never hear the performers voice, or see their face so I have no idea what Nick or Sergey look like - they could have been the same guy (or multiple guys) for all I know. The trailer was shot better than the DVD.

Is it well taught: no audio with only on screen text might as well be a book.

Here is what you learn:

Sprout - a visual pop-out from the middle of the deck. The card could be produced as appearing in front of the spread, or fly away from the deck towards spectator. As a bonus you will learn double lift variation.

Penguin Steal - useful card move for a color change or stealing of the selected card.

NZ Change - fast and direct color change based on classic palm changes. Several variations are included.

Rotation Change - unbelievable move that allows you to change a card by revolving it between your hands.

Astra Cascade - remastered version of classic F. Miller Cascade Control. The method allows you to control multiple cards or use the cascade as a color change.

Mason Addition - simple and direct switch of a single card in your hand. Perfect for transpositions and prediction tricks.

Swindle Double - a clean double lift from the top of the deck. Top cards are flying away to your other hand.

Exmor Trilogy - another great move using in the hands card spread. Exmor could be used as a switch, color change or force.

Mac Change - clean transformation of a single card with an open hand.

1337 Load - angle proof switch for a single card that also could have used as a force.

Glenn Addition - remastered work on a classic Vernon's Bottom Addition. The move is more clear for a single card, that allows you to use it as force.

Bertram Plus - new modern touch for legendary Tebe Change from R. Bertram. This method allows you to do the change twice.

Nova Sandwich Move - a visual single or multiple cards production in between the sandwich cards. The move is fast and clear, without any finger movement at all.

Citro - new variation for a Cardini Snap Change. You can palm the card or steal it from the top of the deck for a moment.

Tasso Change - variation on the R. Walton's Paint Brush Change that makes it easier to perform. Also the change could be done two times on a row.

DNB Spread Control - method of convincing card control in the spread based on the work of E. Earick. The move is used for a single card control to the bottom of the deck or bottom palm.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): this was a big disslike for me. I got bored really fast. Most of the time I could not even follow what was being done. Or if this was a "trick" or a "sleight" or what the effect would be used for in a performance.

Difficulty / Skill level required: these effects appear to be an intermediate level

How much arts and crafts are involved? none

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) no idea, didn't watch the DVD long enough to figure out.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____ Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
_____ Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
      X  Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

You can't even watch the DVD from beginning to end, it stops and starts at each menu

+ Hey do you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas? Visit this link for my video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk3sTp1DLyQ
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy