You are Here:
Drunkard (Kickstarter campaign)

Author (Read 1352 times)

Drunkard (Kickstarter campaign)
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:46:51 AM »

SunDay811

• Newcomer
Hi to everyone!

I have launched a Kickstarter project. It is a card game ''Drunkard'' .
Please have a look at the campaign (link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549154604/drunkard ) and let me know your thoughts and how you like them. If you have any questions ,  I will be happy to answer them.

Thank you very much! - Stan

Re: Drunkard (Kickstarter campaign)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »

SunDay811

• Newcomer

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Hello Stan, this is more a card game than a deck of playing cards. Looks like a great idea for a card game though. I'll scoot it on over to the game discussion area.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:29:37 AM »

SunDay811

• Newcomer
Yes, you are right, it is a fun card game.

One of my backers said:
It does look like fun a simple family game or a crazy adult game depend on to drink or not to drink.

;)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:32 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think the biggest hurdle you're going to run into when selling this game is that it's barely any different in terms of play mechanics from countless other games that can be played with a standard deck.  The gameplay itself is identical to that classic card game that is often the first one children learn: War.  The sole difference is that you play with a smaller deck, only 36 cards.

Sure, standard decks won't have your colorful artwork on them, but if you bought a cheap deck and stripped out the aces and court cards (jacks, queens and kings), you have the exact same deck in terms of function.

If you created some unique mechanic that COULDN'T be played out with a regular deck, you might be on to something.  For example, look at the game Uno - it has Wild, Skip, Reverse, Draw Two, Draw Four, etc., in addition to all the regular number/color combinations.  The game Mille Bornes has cards that in no way resemble a standard deck - no colors/suits, mile markers instead of consecutive card values, etc.

In simplest terms, if the game you present can be played using one or two standard decks, with or without cards removed, there really needs to be a compelling reason for people to find your deck preferable to using the inexpensive standard decks they can buy locally.  Artwork alone might not be enough, unless you were selling to children at a low price point or the art was just stellar.  But if you make your game artistically interesting, entertaining, unique and easy to play, you could end up with the next Exploding Kittens on your hands - the highest-grossing Kickstarter project to date, at over US$8,000,000 earned on a goal of just US$10,000.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »

SunDay811

• Newcomer
 Don Boyer, thank you for your review, it's very constructive for me. With 10 days left I can see that this project has very little chance to be funded.