You are Here:
I must have been living under a rock....

Author (Read 1122 times)

I must have been living under a rock....
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »

NotHereAnymore

• Newcomer
I've been collecting cards for over 20 years. I have no idea when or why it turned into a hobby/collection for me, but it did! I have over 175 decks! A few are tarot cards and specific game cards (like UNO). I'm now trying to find old/vintage cards, or at least ones that mimic them.

I'm from Southwestern Ontario, Canada, and calling me JennK is perfectly fine. :)

Re: I must have been living under a rock....
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 06:42:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've been collecting cards for over 20 years. I have no idea when or why it turned into a hobby/collection for me, but it did! I have over 175 decks! A few are tarot cards and specific game cards (like UNO). I'm now trying to find old/vintage cards, or at least ones that mimic them.

I'm from Southwestern Ontario, Canada, and calling me JennK is perfectly fine. :)

Hell, JennK!  You're in good company - a fair number of our membership is from the same general neck of the woods, including Torontonian, Magician and 52 Plus Joker Club President Lee Asher.  I'm not from there myself, hailing from the New York City Metro area, but my mother's family does hail from Quebec.

I'm glad you found us.  Sounds like you have a tidy little collection there.  Please, look around, get comfortable and feel free to ask questions.  Hopefully you won't get bitten by the collecting bug quite as hard as I was - I've been at it for nearly seven years and I estimate my collection is about 1,800 decks, in about 800 or so different varieties!  I've slowed down a bit out of necessity, but there's always new and tempting decks passing by that are hard to resist.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm also from Ontario.   

Oshawa

Jay
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »

NotHereAnymore

• Newcomer
I call home, London.

1,800 decks! Where do you put them all! LOL!
I was bitten by the bug a while ago, I've just managed to keep it under tight control. If I didn't I'd probably be broke by now. ;) But I do look forward to reading the topics here. It will probably help me focus on what decks will make my collection more robust, but still keep it under control.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »

ButtonsHT

• Newcomer
Another Ontarian here. I’m from Burlington, have lots of friends that live out in London.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I call home, London.

1,800 decks! Where do you put them all! LOL!
I was bitten by the bug a while ago, I've just managed to keep it under tight control. If I didn't I'd probably be broke by now. ;) But I do look forward to reading the topics here. It will probably help me focus on what decks will make my collection more robust, but still keep it under control.

Where do I put them?  Well...

There are these boxes that sports memorabilia shops sell for holding baseball and other sports cards - I've seen CCG players use them as well.  A "super monster" box has five columns in it, each holding a thousand baseball cards.  For typical decks of average size and thickness, a single super monster box holds 125 decks.  I have a stack of them in my bedroom, holding all my still-sealed copies.  About ten of them are filled to max capacity, with perhaps one part-full and two still empty.

For the open decks, I have these stackable drawer units from Staples - I got the idea from Kevin Reylek, a magician and card guy who works over at Penguin Magic these days, but when I met him, he was still with the Blue Crown.  They're plastic and have these stops on the sides of the drawers to keep them from accidentally sliding out.  A single-height drawer holds about 45 decks, and double-height drawers hold far more than twice as much, though they're better suited for larger items like boxed sets.  I have four drawer units - two are 12 single-height drawers each, two are 10 singles and two doubles each.  There's still plenty of capacity left, but they're filling up fast.

I still have to get through resorting the entire collection at some point.  It's completely disorganized, beyond having sealed decks in one place and open decks in another.  But in its present state, it takes up not quite an entire wall in my bedroom, so that's not so bad, really, especially when you consider that my wife and I have a four-bedroom apartment.

Another Ontarian here. I’m from Burlington, have lots of friends that live out in London.

Welcome aboard, Buttons!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/