You are Here:
Where to buy playing cards in person?

Author (Read 5173 times)

Where to buy playing cards in person?
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »

ThadeusOfNazereth

• Newcomer
Sorry if this is the wrong board, but I couldn't find a question board anywhere.

What stores have a good selection of playing cards? Ive been buying online for a while, but would like to be able to buy in person as well.

Re: Where to buy playing cards in person?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »

Wild Joker

• True Member
I find that almost all of our local and regional grocery store chains tend to have a decent selection of USPC cards (most locations having Bicycle, Aviator, and speciality decks), usually in display cases at the end of the wine or party supply aisle.

Of course, department and big box stores like Walmart usually have a selection of cards in the toy department (usually the same aisle where they have board games and such).

Then there's book stores such as Barnes & Nobel and Books-a-million, you'll find a variety of different decks from different companies like USPC and Cartamundi that you can't normally find anywhere else.

Lastly, Dollar General seems to always have Cartamundi decks like Classic and Ace.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you're looking for decks produced by USPC, they're generally available in some limited variety at places like War-Mart or BJ's Wholesale.  Occasionally, they also have deck design exclusives, like a particular color scheme or a particular design that's only available in their store.

There's a variety of Theory11 decks that can be found in shops like Barnes and Noble, as well as a few specialty decks themed to pop-culture topics like superheroes, Harry Potter, etc., but those themed decks tend to be of lower quality.

If you want the best-possible selection of decks in person, your best shot would be to go to a local magic shop, especially one that's less tourist-oriented and has fewer novelty/gag items and is more focused on selling to magicians.  For example, in New York City, two good examples of this would be Tannen's and Fantasma, both located in Midtown Manhattan.  They will generally have a large variety of the kind of custom decks you see people talking about here, anything that's currently available.

The absolute best available selection would probably be if you went to a major deck dealer's retail location, and for that, I can think of only one: Gambler's Warehouse, outside of Dallas.  They used to be the Gambler's General Store in Las Vegas but have changed hands once or twice over the last handful of years.  Most of their stock is available at their location, from what I've been told - decks they produced as well as other companies' decks and the USPC standards.

Best of luck in your deck hunting!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:50:18 AM »

willroya

• 52 Plus Joker Member

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
If you are ever in Las Vegas you can arrange a visit to my showroom, I have over 1000 decks on display for sale.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you are ever in Las Vegas you can arrange a visit to my showroom, I have over 1000 decks on display for sale.

You'd think there'd be a card dealer like you somewhere in New York City, but no, there isn't one!  There used to be a saying, "If it didn't come from New York, it had to go through here for approval first!"

Having said that, there are magic shops, two in Manhattan in particular, that generally carry at least a decent selection of the newest stuff.  Not over 1,000 decks, for sure - perhaps a few dozen of the latest releases, stuff that's in demand, but that's it.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular

Actually, I'm planning a trip to Vegas in November... :D