You are Here:
Does Playing Card Forum have a new look and a new name?

Author (Read 15443 times)

Does Playing Card Forum have a new look and a new name?
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
The forum was offline for over 12 hours, so it's good to see that it's back up again.  However, now that it has returned, I see that it has a new look.  And a new name (The Discourse). 

Are these both permanent?  And what's the story behind these changes? 

I've enjoyed becoming an active part of this community over the last couple of months, and look forward to ongoing participation here!
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Re: Does Playing Card Forum have a new look and a new name?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Good question.  I'm caught off guard and can't answer.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
No. Sorry. There was a server issue last night and we are just trying to fix it. We had to load old software to get it started. It will come back to normal soon. Thanks for your patience.

Lee

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
No. Sorry. There was a server issue last night and we are just trying to fix it. We had to load old software to get it started. It will come back to normal soon. Thanks for your patience.

Lee

Good luck guys! I know your're doing a fabulous job (and we'll all be patient :) ) Noticed the 'fatal error' last night and sincerely felt for you as I pictured the frantic activity behind the scenes  ... Nothing like a white screen to make developers hairs stand on end! Happily, solutions are mostly within reach, even though the detective work to find and fix can be time consuming.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame

Thanks Lee, and all the best!

I'd echo the thoughtful words of Annette (Nine Lives) - I share her sentiments of sympathy and appreciation.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:22:39 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Hi everyone,

Again, sorry for any inconveniences. I don't know why the server went down yesterday, but after lots of coffee, and crashing the software more times than I could count, we're back up and running at 100%.

Thanks again for your patience (and kind words).

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 02:52:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I want to personally thank Lee for his tireless efforts in getting the forum back up to snuff.  It took me by surprise - I had a lot of events to manage mid-week this past week and didn't even know the forum was offline until it was offline for a while.

Regarding "the Discourse" - that's actually the forum's original name, from back in the days when it was first founded.  It was renamed PlayingCardForum.com not long after 52 Plus Joker bought the forum from the original owner.

In those days, UC had fallen into neglect, the few other card forums out there had shuttered and the owner of AetherCards was looking for a way to promote his first deck of cards (which, alas, was also his last deck of cards), so he created a forum.  I started using it about two months after it opened (which was about a year into my becoming a deck collector as well as a magician) and was a frequent contributor, so he promoted me first to moderate the STISO (we only had one then), then to also cover the Playing Card Plethora, then I got bumped to "omni-moderator" (a title we no longer use) and eventually he named me administrator of the forum as he took more of a back-seat role and started looking for a buyer.  Roughly a year later, I helped broker a deal that allowed Tom Dawson to buy the forum, which he gave over to 52 Plus Joker as their official forum.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/