You are Here:
Wholesale?

Author (Read 709 times)

Wholesale?
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »

Frosty

• Newcomer
I have been collecting cards for a number of years now and I was looking into creating my own deck of playing cards. But we all know that it costs quite a bit of $$$ to have a deck bicycle branded or even printed by the USPCC, then add shipping costs in there and the price just skyrockets. I have seen quite a few people recently on kickstarter who have been able to produce their decks with a funding goal of only $5,000-6,000 and I was wondering how they were able to pull this off? I had heard rumors of people on kickstarter that have a large wholesale following and that way they were able to sell the rest of their decks and make a profit at the end and therefor they have a low funding goal. Does anybody know more details about how the process works and could anyone offer me some insight? How does one find a retailer to sell to?

I'm wanting to create my own deck, but I'm still in the research stage. After seeing how expensive it is to have a deck printed and seeing all the projects that did not reach their desired goals on kickstarter, I want to  do anything and everything I can to have an advantage to get my project funded. Any other advice will be well appreciated too.

Re: Wholesale?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have been collecting cards for a number of years now and I was looking into creating my own deck of playing cards. But we all know that it costs quite a bit of $$$ to have a deck bicycle branded or even printed by the USPCC, then add shipping costs in there and the price just skyrockets. I have seen quite a few people recently on kickstarter who have been able to produce their decks with a funding goal of only $5,000-6,000 and I was wondering how they were able to pull this off? I had heard rumors of people on kickstarter that have a large wholesale following and that way they were able to sell the rest of their decks and make a profit at the end and therefor they have a low funding goal. Does anybody know more details about how the process works and could anyone offer me some insight? How does one find a retailer to sell to?

I'm wanting to create my own deck, but I'm still in the research stage. After seeing how expensive it is to have a deck printed and seeing all the projects that did not reach their desired goals on kickstarter, I want to  do anything and everything I can to have an advantage to get my project funded. Any other advice will be well appreciated too.

It's not the wholesale route that will make you a lot of money.  Wholesale sales generally earn a deck maker pennies per deck.

Its often more a matter of controlling costs.  Using a less-costly printer will make the deck less expensive, but drive down the quality in most (but not all) cases.  Printing a smaller run can lower the overall cost, but it does drive up the per-deck costs.  Figure out the balance that works for you and go for it.  Using MPC, you can even print as few as just one deck!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/