You are Here:
Shogun Playing Cards

Author (Read 3867 times)

Shogun Playing Cards
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:43:13 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted anything worthwhile on the forums. Haven't been very active due to various life obstacles that I was overcoming.
Anyway, all that's settled now and I can move on to something that's near and dear to me.
For those that know me, I am a huge fan of Japanese culture and of course I've always wanted to jump on the playing card design bandwagon. I've been pondering about this idea for a good few months, and I'm slowly starting to work on a Japanese themed deck based loosely on the Tokugawa Shogunates and the Japanese Edo Era. I'm working along side my cousin and we are doing an all hand drawn deck of cards. Here's one of the aces we drew. (I've had to resize and crop as it doesn't allow anything over 1mb)
Hopefully, I can go ahead and create something that would appeal to all. Keep in mind, this is a rough sketch.
Any ideas of what you'd like to see, please throw them my way.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:45:19 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

Re: Shogun Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
So far, from the sketch that you've posted, this concept looks amazing. I just hope the detailed work translates to the cards. Please post more sketches if you have them, I would love to see how the deck is coming along.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:20:39 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Hey, thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it :) I'm so sorry I've not posted any updates on here,  I've been posting over at UC as it seemed more active. Nevertheless, apologies, I should still be posting here. Please see the following, working on custom pip design and courts so will continue putting updates. Thank you again for the support.
In regards to the details translating onto the cards, I have done it to scale and the details do still show. Need to darken the lines to make them pop a little more. I'll be updating more on the weekend :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:24:55 AM by Nurul »

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »

emdash

• Newcomer
  • Never been known to leave a good gin alone.
These look beautiful! Are you colouring them in digitally or traditionally? Are you sharing work up on ig or anywhere?

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
These look beautiful! Are you colouring them in digitally or traditionally? Are you sharing work up on ig or anywhere?

Hey, thank you for your sweet comments, I really do appreciate it :) most of the credit should go to my cousin :) you can sure enough follow him on IG https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/
I don't have an IG account, but they will be posted on his in due time.

I'll also be posting every week on snapchat, check out my signature for that :)

The colouring was done via photoshop. However, I hope to produce some prints for the project where they will be hand coloured, or might have an option of black and white and allow others to colour. Will cross that bridge near the launch date.

EDIT: apologies, colouring was initially done by hand, I've just been informed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:16:57 AM by Nurul »

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Love the artwork of the suits. I can't wait to see what you come up with as far as the face cards.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Thank you! Will be posting them either tonight or tomorrow. My cousin is working on the jacks at the moment, I'm just working on the pips so should have something soon.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
sketches of the Jacks

JoC - Naito Kiyonari
JoD - Toyotomi Hideyori
JoH - Honda Masanobu
JoS - Aoyama Tadanari
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:40:57 AM by Nurul »

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Oh wow, the sketches of the Jacks are fantastic! Ok, so, give more background story about this deck? Are you going to continue with the color scheme that you currently have going with the suits cards you've posted?

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Oh wow, the sketches of the Jacks are fantastic! Ok, so, give more background story about this deck? Are you going to continue with the color scheme that you currently have going with the suits cards you've posted?

Hey, thank you again for your kind words, it's greatly appreciated.
In regards to the background of the deck, it's based on the first ever Tokugawa Shogunate, Tokugawa Ieyasu around the start of the Edo era (Edo is now known as Tokyo). He took control of Japan, unofficially, in 1600 after the battle of Sekigahara. Some history books put him charge in 1603. After the battle, came alot of peace and tranquility, but it was a bloody battle.
The Edo period would last for over 250 years.

I'm hoping to create a pdf/book detailing the information I've discovered. I promise this now, I will make it as fun a read as possible haha.

Regarding the colour scheme, we are undecided at the moment, but we are experimenting. Feel free to post some ideas of what you feel would be good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:06:25 PM by Nurul »

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 10:54:05 PM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I like the idea of adding a book for informative reasons. I look forward to the Queens and Kings cards. With that being said, what are you ideas for the number cards? also, I was thinking, as far as the aces.. the ace of diamonds... have you considered having one of the samurai holding his sword over head, while the other keeps his sword low?

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 05:45:29 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I like the idea of adding a book for informative reasons. I look forward to the Queens and Kings cards. With that being said, what are you ideas for the number cards? also, I was thinking, as far as the aces.. the ace of diamonds... have you considered having one of the samurai holding his sword over head, while the other keeps his sword low?

Going to do customised pips for the number cards. That'll be one of the last things we do though, the idea is there, just want to get courts, back and tuck out the way (in that order).
Ah, that is a sweet idea, will implement it and see how it looks, thank you :)

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
these are still first sketches, hopefully you will all like them

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »

intlgrrl

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I like how the Jacks turned out, can't wait to see the Kings, Queens and tuck ideas