You are Here:
Happy to join you

Author (Read 1083 times)

Happy to join you
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »

Gejus

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
Hello, I'm Gejus van Diggele. Collector, researcher, author, lecturer, curator, moderator. Chairman of the International Playing Card Society.
One fascination: how games and playing cards reflect social history. Two main interests: repurposed playing cards (5,000+, 15th - 21th century), and all kind of games and puzzles from the WW2 era (2,000+, 1923-1947). I love the stories behind cards and games and it's great to try to discover them.
For over 45 years I've worked in marketing communication. Games and cards are a form of communication too. Most repurposed playing cards literally contain some kind of information, for instance a note, invitation, request, invoice, message. Most WW2 games and cards communicate a political message. To better understand the messages it helps if you imagine how life was at the time.
Just an example: an 1800 playing card used by a mother to write a personal note with the baby she left at the gate of an orphanage. To understand why she did that, one has to study the local social and economical circumstances of around 1800. But I'm also interested in the card makers, however if secondary used the playing card side has no longer a meaning. It's just a cheap piece of paper to write on. Different but WW2 games tell a story too. How they were played is less important. I'm interested in why they were played.
If you like to know more or collect the same kind of items please contact me. Or join the Facebook Playing Card Collectors Club where I and others on a daily basis post all kind of cards with an interesting story.
Thanks.

Collector and researcher of repurposed playing cards (5,000+) and all kind of games and puzzles from the WW2 era (2,000+). Author, lecturer, curator. Chairman International Playing Card Society. Moderator Facebook Playing Card Collectors Club.

Re: Happy to join you
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Gejus,

Welcome and thanks for sharing the Playing Cards Collectors Club facebook page. I've joined that page and look forward to learning a great deal more regarding playing cards.

Thanks again,

-eh
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Hello Gejus!

Welcome to our forum!

I believe we have already met on the Facebook Playing Card Collectors Club! ... It's a fantastic group, BTW. :D

Great to see you here too! ... Do you ever sleep?  :-\

Kruser
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:32:44 PM by Kruser »
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:21:27 AM »

Gejus

• Newcomer

• Facebook:
I usually sleep when you are awake :-)
Collector and researcher of repurposed playing cards (5,000+) and all kind of games and puzzles from the WW2 era (2,000+). Author, lecturer, curator. Chairman International Playing Card Society. Moderator Facebook Playing Card Collectors Club.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:36:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I usually sleep when you are awake :-)

But maybe not when I'm awake - I work overnight shifts in New York City!

Welcome to the forum - glad you could make it!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/